• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

ODOT travel advisory

O

Oregongirl

Jul 25, 2002
Highlands Ranch, Colorado
ODOT: Expect treacherous driving conditions through the weekend

Oregon Department of Transportation officials advise motorists to avoid travel over mountain passes for the next 72 hours while a series of winter storms is expected to pummel the state.

In addition to heavy snow in the mountains, Central Oregon and Eastern Oregon, the western portion of the state is expected to receive heavy rainfall over the next four days. This may cause minor flooding in lower areas and mud and rock slides between the Willamette Valley and the Oregon Coast.

Highways are closed throughout the state due to heavy snow and gusting wind, with more closures anticipated. Because winter weather has been so widespread over the past month, ODOT is starting to encounter some equipment breakdowns.

"Because of the current storm and another significant system moving in, we expect the situation to remain critical for several days," said ODOT Deputy Director Doug Tindall. "ODOT will not be able to provide much service at Sno-Parks and secondary highways as we work to address ongoing issues on the Interstates and main state highways."
During the extreme weather, ODOT asks motorists to avoid travel. If motorists must use the highways, please be aware of the following:

** Over-sized vehicles such as motor homes, pickups with campers, delivery box vans and chip trucks should not be driven in high wind conditions. High winds have tipped over semis, torn campers off pickups and forced delivery vans outside of travel lanes.

** Secure or remove all loose items (cargo) in the back of pickups. Items such as boxes or ladders that usually stay in the pickup bed can be blown onto the road or into the windshield of another vehicle.

** High winds and heavy snow will cause trees to fall onto the highway and, at times, on vehicles. If you must drive, use extreme caution and be prepared to stop at a moment's notice.

** Standing, high water on the highway can cause vehicles to lose traction and slide off the highway or into another vehicle. Driving through high water that's moving quickly can cause your vehicle to float. Use extreme caution while driving during periods of heavy rainfall and don't drive through fast-moving water.

O

Oregongirl

Jul 25, 2002
Highlands Ranch, Colorado
Updated ALERT on Friday afternoon

Subject: [FlashAlert] Emergency Info - FRI, Feb. 1 - 14:48
Importance: High

ODOT: Be prepared or don't go: Expect treacherous driving conditions through the weekend

Oregon Department of Transportation officials advise motorists to expect very bad travel conditions this weekend, as another series of winter storms is expected to pummel the state.

• State highways through the Cascades are passable today, with difficulty; roads are snow-packed and visibility is low

• If travel is imperative this weekend, be extra prepared and expect long delays

• Big trucks should be prepared to hold in place again sometime tomorrow if weather predictions hold true

Oregon highway closures as of 2:30p, 2/1/2008 Chains or traction tires are required on virtually all mountain passes; please check www.TripCheck.com for the latest status on closures and chain requirements.

o OR 126 westbound closed by mudslide 9 miles west of Walton (MP 24); expected to re-open at 6p tonight

o U.S. 20 is closed indefinitely 23 miles east of Sweet Home, from MP 51 – 75, due to too much snow

• Eastern Oregon: I-84 eastbound is closed 8 miles west of Huntington (MP 338) due to a crash; expected closure 2+ hours. Use alternate route if possible

• Southern Oregon: ODOT advises motorists and big trucks to not travel in higher elevations in Southern Oregon this weekend, including five I-5 mountain passes (Siskiyou, Sexton, Canyon, Stage Road and Smith), as well as Oregon Highway 138E east of Toketee, Oregon 62 east of Prospect, Oregon 230 near Diamond Lake and all of Oregon 140.

Winter driving tips online

• ODOT offers winter driving tips online at www.oregon.gov/ODOT/COMM/docs/2007-2008_winterstory.pdf.

• Before heading out on the road, motorists should check the latest road conditions by visiting www.tripcheck.com or calling 511.

89sandman

Lifetime Membership
Oct 16, 2004
southern oregon
if i get stuck on the road can i just unload my sled and ride it? will odot have my truck and trailer all ready to go when i get back?:) have been talkin to rambob, he lives in tokatee, says things there are reaching critical mass! road conditions in the area go from bad to worse. that is of course why we are headed that way this morning! will be leaving the big trailers home and taking little ones, hoping for more pow like last weekend...

89sandman

Lifetime Membership
Oct 16, 2004
southern oregon
was planning on staying up at tokatee, but when we got down from riding they were getting ready to close the road so we had to boogie down the hill. road closed from susan creek up until sometime this morning!!! epic snow up that way, more than i have ever seen...

Last edited:
M
Jan 24, 2008
Riding from home

Some of the guys couldnt get there little trailers out..Diesels stuck, they rode from home and they live in town. Klamath over to Stukel Mt and had good riding.

Premium Features