• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Obama leads McCain in Montana poll,.....

S
Dec 29, 2001
Brainerd,MN
Guess the pollsters have not checked this forum. :confused: S'wiz.

Election 2008: Montana Presidential Election
Montana: Obama Leads McCain By Five
Thursday, July 03, 2008 Email to a Friend
Barack Obama is leading John McCain by five percentage points in Montana. The latest Rasmussen Reports telephone survey in the state shows Obama attracting 48% of the vote while McCain earns 43%.

In April, the numbers were reversed with McCain leading 48% to 43%. That was before Obama clinched the Democratic nomination and defeated Hillary Clinton by fifteen points in Montana. Fifty percent (50%) of Montana Democrats want Clinton named as Obama’s running mate. Just 29% of all Montana voters would like to see Clinton as the Vice Presidential nominee.

Against McCain, Obama leads among voters under 50, including a twenty-seven point lead among voters under 30. McCain leads among those over 50. Obama is supported by 89% of Montana Democrats while McCain gets the vote from 85% of Republicans.

Twenty-five percent (25%) of Montana voters say McCain is too old to be President while 42% say Obama is too inexperienced.

It would be truly stunning if Obama could turn Montana into a competitive state this November. George W. Bush won Montana’s 3 Electoral College Votes by twenty percentage points in 2004 and by twenty-five points four years earlier. Even Bob Dole managed to win Montana, albeit by a narrow 44% to 41% margin (Ross Perot picked up 14% of the vote).

The last Democrat to win Montana was Bill Clinton in 1992. He did so with 38% of the vote. The first President Bush got 35% of the Montana vote while Ross Perot picked up 26%.

Rasmussen Markets data shows that Republicans are currently given a 72.0% chance of winning Montana this November. With release of this poll, Montana shifts from “Likely Republican” to “Leans Republican” in the Rasmussen Reports Balance of Power Calculator. Nationally, Obama has been enjoying a modest but steady lead in the Rasmussen Reports daily Presidential Tracking Poll for several weeks.

Please sign up for the Rasmussen Reports daily e-mail update (it’s free)… let us keep you up to date with the latest public opinion news.

McCain is viewed favorably by 58% of Montana voters, Obama by 57%. For both men, that reflects a slight improvement since April.

Fifty percent (50%) of Montana voters say it’s more important to get the troops home from Iraq than it is to win the War. Forty-four percent (44%) hold the opposite view and say victory is more important.

Sixty-six percent (66%) support offshore oil drilling and 51% say such drilling is likely to bring down the price of gas and oil. Those figures are similar to the national average. A recent national survey found that 48% of American voters say lower gas prices would do more for the economy than tax cuts or an economic stimulus program.

Forty percent (40%) say free trade is good for the nation while 29% take the opposite view.

Sixty-six percent (66%) say that the federal government itself has become a special interest group that looks out primarily for its own interest. Seventeen percent (17%) disagree. Only 19% believe the government today represents the will of the American people.

Democratic Governor, Brian Schweitzer gets great reviews—64% of the state’s voters say he is doing a good or an excellent job. Just 14% rate his work as poor.

Despite winning 59% of the vote in Montana less than four years ago, George W. Bush now earns good or excellent ratings from just 37% of the state’s voters. Forty-eight percent (48%) say he is doing a poor job.

B

B C

Nov 26, 2007
Montucky
I'm betting the majority of their calls were to the populated(more liberal) areas of the west and southwest.

S
Dec 29, 2001
Brainerd,MN
I'm betting the majority of their calls were to the populated(more liberal) areas of the west and southwest.

I won't take that bet, I'm with you on these so-called polls. It's too easy to poll people known to be friendly to the poll question, and claim the results as "fact" in a news release.

In the news biz, they call it "push polling." IOW, trying to influence popular opinion in their favor with the poll, which may actually be against them.

(Now, how can we make the same technique work to promote snowmobiling in forest areas? First, we would have to get the media on our side.... yeah, right. :rolleyes: )

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
I hope so, kinda like taking a poll in Sun Valley and saying it represents Idaho.
I understand people wanting a change but come on now really??

LMFAO. Yeah. Sun Valley IS Idaho. LOL

L
Oct 11, 2001
Butte, MT
Well if spending time here gets him the votes over McCain he is going to win. He is spending the 4th in Butte and I am not sure where he is headed after that. I was surprised at how many people I know are voting for him, and all of them ride bikes or sleds. I'm not, but I would bet 90% of everyone else I know is.

W
Nov 27, 2007
Well if spending time here gets him the votes over McCain he is going to win. He is spending the 4th in Butte and I am not sure where he is headed after that. I was surprised at how many people I know are voting for him, and all of them ride bikes or sleds. I'm not, but I would bet 90% of everyone else I know is.

Well, why dont ya set em straight? I can't understand how anyone involved with powersports can support any democrat. That party is not our friend.

Premium Features