• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

No snow in Alaska so headed to Colorado..

Dec 8, 2014
Hey everyone, I live up here in Alaska, but we are having a terrible snow year. Going to be be road tripping down to Colorado here soon to do some riding. Should be there shortly after Christmas. Never been riding down there before but I'm going to be bringing my 2015 Freeride with me.

Where in your opinion is the best place to ride there? I'm an experienced backcountry rider, practically grew up on a sled up here. So I'm definitely not looking for a generic trail ride. Also I'm going to need people to ride with, anyone interested?

CO 2.0

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Fort Collins, CO
Ummm, the snow here sucks right now to make that long of a trip. Togwotee would be better. It rained and froze a couple weeks ago and made for a $hit ice layer. We need fresh snow bad.

Dec 8, 2014
Ummm, the snow here sucks right now to make that long of a trip. Togwotee would be better. It rained and froze a couple weeks ago and made for a $hit ice layer. We need fresh snow bad.

Hmm okay thanks for the info! Maybe it will be better by the first of the year or so, I'm honestly playing it all by ear, I have some family business to deal with in South Dakota but I figured I'd make a riding trip out of it. So pretty much anywhere down south is an option. We literally have 6 inches of snow up here right now and it is raining currently.

kcj1317

Premium Member
Sep 29, 2012
St Charles Idaho
I'm on SE Idaho, Bear Lake. I don't know what the snow will be at that time but great riding most winters. Be happy to ride with you if you come this way.

C

capulin overdrive

Apr 25, 2010
Good thing is, you can go darn near anywhere and not be too far out of your way to make it to S D..

So far only decent looking pics have come out of BC.

Moisture coming later in the week, 5 to 6 inches of rain for Oregon and/or Washington, plus 2 or 3 feet of snow for Tahoe. Hopefully that stuff will get to the Rockies also?

J
Mar 31, 2012
Mancos, CO
If you have 6" of snow in AK that's 6" more than we have in southwest CO. I live outside Durango and have for the past 10 years. I have never before seen a December where there is absolutely no snow at my house. There's hardly even snow up on Wolf Creek Pass right now. This winter sucks right now.

Maybe I should go ride up at Silverton Mountain ski area. The owner likes to report that it's snowing or has snowed no matter what the conditions are.

Shattered1

Lifetime Membership
Oct 10, 2012
Juneau, AK
A friend in Haines posted some pictures from a ride on Thanksgiving. I don't know what the conditions are now, but the snow looked pretty good then. I would imagine that White Pass in Skagway would have similar snow conditions.

Here's one of the pictures that he posted. A few rocks showing, but looks like decent snow. We have had some warmer weather since Thanksgiving, so it may not be worth the trip now.

1922310_4956628211163_2440427067001037961_n.jpg

G

gotsnow

Dec 2, 2007
South Dakota
South Dakota to Wyoming

Hmm okay thanks for the info! Maybe it will be better by the first of the year or so, I'm honestly playing it all by ear, I have some family business to deal with in South Dakota but I figured I'd make a riding trip out of it. So pretty much anywhere down south is an option. We literally have 6 inches of snow up here right now and it is raining currently.

If in South Dakota (where I live) I would suggest many other places other then Colorado. Not saying Colorado is bad or anything but can find just as good if not better in the Big Horns, Snowies, Togwotee, West Yellowstone, MT, Cooke City, MT. If going to Colorado I heard Rabit Ears is the best but I don't have much experience in Colorado. But like what everyone else said the snow currently is lacking and a long way to haul a sled when you cant use it. You would save money I would think if you just rented a sled. The cost to haul your sled that far just is not worth it. Then I would suggest renting a mountain sled (Polaris, skidoo or cat). Just my .02 cents

J

Jimmy

Nov 27, 2007
Chiba, Colorado
If in South Dakota (where I live) I would suggest many other places other then Colorado. Not saying Colorado is bad or anything but can find just as good if not better in the Big Horns, Snowies, Togwotee, West Yellowstone, MT, Cooke City, MT. If going to Colorado I heard Rabit Ears is the best but I don't have much experience in Colorado. But like what everyone else said the snow currently is lacking and a long way to haul a sled when you cant use it. You would save money I would think if you just rented a sled. The cost to haul your sled that far just is not worth it. Then I would suggest renting a mountain sled (Polaris, skidoo or cat). Just my .02 cents

If you don't have any experience in Colorado, then how can you offer advice that all those other places are better?
I once had a guy tell me my brand new Ford was a piece of crap! Turns out he was a Chevy Salesman!:der:

Premium Features