• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Next Season Riding Clinic Suggestions

F
Jul 27, 2014
Fresno
Cali based and looking to haul the sled to try a riding clinic this upcoming season.

What clinics/instructors would you suggest?

Would travel to Oregon, Nevada, Wyoming or similar.

Picked up a dragon 700 last year and ran it but want to gain some experience and run deep powder.

I have looked into

Next Level, Wy
Backcountry Basics
Rasmussen Style

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
Got to do a Ski-doo demo ride with the Rasmussen crew. Wasn't really a riding clinic that day, but I would definitely go out with them again. Bret wasn't there, but Tony Jenkins, Josh Roth, and Ashley Chaffin were. Good people that don't belittle you or leave you for dead somewhere.

Had an AC demo ride with Amber from Backcountry Basics too. Would also recommend.

Hardass

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Troy Montana
From your statement it sounds like your pretty new so your going to want more of a beginner clinic rather than the full blown deal. Amber Holt is probably a good place to start.

Reactions: mountainhorse
B

Budd

Nov 26, 2007
Eastern, ID.
The three companies you listed above are all quality operations, they all offer riding clinics for the novice rider on up to the experienced rider. The company you decide to go with will send you a rider resume form to fill out, answer all the questions as honestly as you can, by doing this the instructor will know exactly what needs to be done to maximize your riding clinic experience.

Dirty Steve

Lifetime Membership
Feb 3, 2012
Central MN
I highly recommend Backcountry Basics. I took Amber's class last season. It was well worth it and Amber is a great instructor.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
And don't take "Basics" the wrong way.... Laying a solid foundation that you can build on is the most important.

Matt Entz offers a fully tailored program... and if you can get some like-minded/like-skilled people to sign up to fill a class... you will be on your way.

Amber Holt builds a great experience for laying the foundation also... and fills her classes early... so get in touch soon.

Dan Adams has beginner level classes that also will fit right into your needs...

All of the above... Touch base with them now... tell them your targets for riding skills and approximate dates you want to go... the earlier the better IMO... as you will build on that throughout the season.

From an earlier thread.
http://www.snowest.com/forum/showthread.php?t=377926

I break the "Camps/Clinics/Adventures/Experiences" into two different categories.

1) True Clinics that have as their sole focus to teach you sled skills that improve your experience. The best of them will evaluate your current riding level, strengths & weaknesses and teach you skills that will improve your enjoyment of the sport. Also of importance to these sessions and their operators is Avalanche safety and education (huge in my book)

2) Guided high end Tours or Adventures...
Although you will of course learn things when you ride with these camps and the guides are always helpful in developing skills... the focus is more about pushing your limits on an all day ride with other riders that are, most often, grouped together by ability.

Now, I'm not going to tell you which one is which.... You must decide which one you want from your time spent with the session you choose.

First you must be TRULY honest with yourself to determine your riding ability. Most riders over-estimate their true riding ability simply because they are the best in their group. Better to underestimate, be humble and let the experts do their job at guiding you or teaching.

One of the worst case scenarios is to think that you are a great rider... spend lots of money on a session, transport, time off work/vacation-time...and get to a session where everyone else but you has amazing skills and you are the "anchor" that drags the group down. Not fun for the rest of the group who has paid dearly for their session as well...and definitely not fun for you being the "red headed step child" of the group.
The last thing a Pro that has a group of riders that can ride at a truly high level... is a rider that holds them back or ruins the experience for the group. IMO, Don't be that person!!

Second, Decide what you are looking for... A clinic that is focused on teaching you skills with specific drills, lessons, and class goals...with probably less throttle time... OR... an Experience that has as it's focus guiding you and pushing you on a ride that is challenging without the drills/class/practice sessions.

Third, Email or call the Session owner/operator and be clear what you expect and ask them if the particular session you are considering is a good fit for you and your abilities/expectations.

Lots of good ways to go out there... have fun and SHRED SOM POW this season!! :face-icon-small-ton

Here is a list of some of the programs out there. I'm sure I missed some.

NOTE: As of press time here... Many of the Web-sites have not yet updated for the 2014/15 season.

Reactions: volcano buster
F
Jul 27, 2014
Fresno
all great info and thanks for the comments.

yes new to riding sleds but active my entire life on everything with a motor. As stated, better rider in the group i go with and feel i can gain more from a clinic type event.

Agreed with the basics is best. Its may be boring but fundamentals are a must. cali snow doesnt drop much so im sure its another world when riding a good snow pack

Premium Features