• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

New to me 120's

SLDHVN

Premium Member
Mar 7, 2008
Sled Heaven
Scored 2 120's for my boys (5 and 7) over the summer, first one is an 06, like new, hardly even a scratch. Second one is an 07, not in as good of shape, but looks like it'll clean up well.

Im wanting to long track them and ad some speed, so they can atleast come out on the trails with me and also get offtrail a bit. I looked at the rec motorsports longtrack kits, they look awesome, but 1800 bucks each...ouch.

Has anyone pieced together the long track stuff themselves and saved money?

Other suggestions?

T
Mar 13, 2019
Yup, you can do it much cheaper. Need a few parts from Rec and of course the track Check out my thread and I think the long track stuff starts on page three. It's the clutching that kills these 120s. I am going to say do the easy speed stuff and modify exsisting clutches on the 120s then sell and buy 200s.... unless you really like to tinker.

meathooker

Lifetime Membership
Jan 4, 2008
Boise, ID
I did a honda motor swap, clutch, shocks, and skis on a 120.
then I got a snosoot with proper clutch and heated grips and no one wants to ride the 120 anymore.
imo the 120 is great for 2-5 year old then the snoscoot so much more enjoyable for them to ride.

Devilmanak

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
Donnelly, ID
The one thing that I learned was that you can put whatever money/time/effort into them, it doesn't matter the next year: They have outgrown them. Tater has had a Z120 Mod, Indy Deluxe 340, same sled modded the next year, 16 M6000, he has a new Summit 600 at the shop waiting for gauges. He just turned 11 last week. Put him on the M6000 three seasons ago. Because I let him ride one of my 850 Summits on the lake, he refused to ride the 340 any more. Best thing we did was get that M6000. It has over 3000 miles on it now, but hasn't cost me a bit other than light maintenance and some mods over the last three years. He never wrecked it or hit anything. All the modding and upgrading every year costs money and time. Every kid is different, Tater is a freak of nature (I am bragging), but it has worked out well. My daughter had a Z120, not sure she ever rode it. Then she rode whatever a couple times a year, I have pics of her on my bud's Alpha, probably when she was 9 or 10. Handled it just fine, but just lake riding. Got her an 05 M6 last year to putt around on. She is fine with it, but she will never do anything other than fun runs.
Another example: Neighbor got his kids a couple of Jags last winter, nice ones. His daughter wasn't really into it, son was. We would all go out on the lake/golf course and mess around on Sundays. Neighbor let his son (who is TINY, 7 or so?) ride mom's Rev 600 Summit. His feet couldn't touch the boards. But he was hucking off jumps with Tater, straight to the balls on landing. Now they are selling the Jags.
Long story, sorry, highjacked, I am bored. :) If you don't want to buy your kids bigger sleds, DON'T let them ride one!

Devilmanak

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
Donnelly, ID
I did a honda motor swap, clutch, shocks, and skis on a 120.
then I got a snosoot with proper clutch and heated grips and no one wants to ride the 120 anymore.
imo the 120 is great for 2-5 year old then the snoscoot so much more enjoyable for them to ride.
That Honda and clutch swap is what we had. It would haul me around pretty well!

meathooker

Lifetime Membership
Jan 4, 2008
Boise, ID
That Honda and clutch swap is what we had. It would haul me around pretty well!
Yeah it’s very impressive compared to stock. But the snoscoot 200 is better in every way IMO. Just picked up my sons 2022. Super lucky we got one

Premium Features