• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

New to Cat

I'm picking up a 14 proclimb hcr this weekend. I've been on doo since 2002 and built my own carbed turbo about five years ago. I'm tired of tuning carbs with the large elevation change I ride so I'm trying fuel injection. We unload at 5k ft and all our riding is at 8-10k ft. I've searched this forum but haven't been able to find the exact numbers im looking for.

My first question is what non ho heads would fit the 14. I was told 08 and 09 only but some used parts listings say 07 to 09 are the lower compression head.

Next I'm looking to run around 6-8 pounds of boost to start but I want to build it with extra injectors and an upgraded fuel pump/regulator so I can turn it up when I want to and just run better fuel. So my question is with the lower compression head, how much boost can I run on pump fuel?

Also what fuel controller is everyone liking the best? I used to hear from friends that were running the attitude box that it was the best but now they're saying the newest gen boondocker is even better?

I'm planning on building my own kit and and I already have most of the components from my doo that I will try to use again.

Thanks in advance! :face-icon-small-coo

The 2007 to 2009 head will bolt right on and give you the lower compression ratio that you desire. I would not run over 6 pounds of boost on pump gas. There are guys running about 8, but with boost spikes and no way to control fuel quality it is a gamble.

On a good turbo system the stock injectors max out around 8 pounds at your elevation.

You will enjoy the latest generation Boondocker box more than the Attitude box on a turbo system.

Exactly what racinstation said. Although I have successfully ran 6 lbs on my 12 bd kit with pump gas and the stock head at about 5k feet. Whatever you do, use the boony box.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks racinstation for the info! That's about the numbers I was hoping for on pump fuel. Is the 6 lbs of boost on pump fuel with the stock head or the lower compression 07-09 head?

I tip my hat to anyone that tries to build there own turbo kit although it seldom works. You went from a problematic doo system for a good reason why not take advantage of one of many proven kits out there where everything is set upto work together. My neighbor tried a homemade cat kit he went through pistons and jugs like I go through beer. My advise buy a proven kit and run 12 pounds you owe it to youre self after years on the home made doo program.

I tip my hat to anyone that tries to build there own turbo kit although it seldom works. You went from a problematic doo system for a good reason why not take advantage of one of many proven kits out there where everything is set upto work together. My neighbor tried a homemade cat kit he went through pistons and jugs like I go through beer. My advise buy a proven kit and run 12 pounds you owe it to youre self after years on the home made doo program.

I agree with you to a point. It has only went down once in the five years Ive been riding it. And it was a bad tank of race fuel that caused it. It was running 10#'s of boost on vp 110 with a low compression head and went down from deto. It should have been able to run up to 16 pounds at elevation without deto on straight race fuel. It runs really well and has awesome throttle response but from one weekend to the next it seems like you almost have to completely change your jetting. Only adjusting the power jets wont pull or add fuel in the right places so I end up pulling the carbs on the hill and rejetting. I could be wrong but it sure seems like a lot less hassle to change some settings in the fuel controller and keep riding rather than spending an hour plus to rejet. Not to mention carrying around all the tools and different jets in my backpack.

There are probably quite a few of us out there that has built our own Turbo kits. It does take a lot of time. You will spend a lot of time tuning and wishing you were riding. Once you get it down and it's ripping it's quite satisfying. That being said, I buy a kit now. My time is just too precious.

Premium Features

Back