• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

New to Alaska what Avy and other courses

D

DVarmit

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Apr 11, 2008
Alaska
I am new here.. I have a lot of trail riding experience but this type of riding is all new to me. The last thing I want to do is come all this way and get killed due to stupidity. So, what classes should I take regarding avalanche training and are there any other classes that might save my *** that I should look at taking? I have been online and saw several different groups and classes on Avy training but thought I would get your opinion since well, you live and ride here.:D

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
hey D, glad your here..as for classes we have some of the top rated avy experts in the world living here they put on excellent classes...try this site it should have what you need..I have to get the kids into some classes as well and I could use some updates as well...http://www.cnfaic.org/

Dec 8, 2007
There are numerous AVY level 1 courses offered this time of year. Attend the Beacons for dummies class put on by REI, or one of the Back-country groups. Too many people where $600 beacons and have no idea how to actually use it, during crunch time. That's not the time to be pulling out the instructions, and rest assured if you ride AK backcountry long enough you will be exposed to these situations.

A

aksnomachinechic

Nov 11, 2006
Gr8st Plce; ALASKA!
www.facebook.com
Here's some other sites to check out.

http://www.alaskaavalanche.com/Homepage.html

http://www.nsp.org/nsp2002/edu_template.asp?mode=course_schedule&search=view

I've attended an 8 hr class put on by Doug Fessler. He was great!!! He did a very educational / informational class and they showed some great video's of how avalanches start and what triggers them and the works. They also do an outdoor mock training too. I have not attended that but want to.

A class taught by Kip Melling ( the 2nd link) would be a great one to attend too. He's my neighbor and lives in the mountains.

Any class that you decide to attend you won't go wrong up here. Avalanche education is the first and foremost thing that one should do anywhere they live.

akstormin

Lifetime Membership
May 5, 2008
Eagle River, AK
Dvarmit, welcome to AK!!
The links provided by aksnowmachinechic and AKSNOWRIDER are exactly what you need for info.
Doug Fessler and his wife Jill Fredston are legendary in the avalanche field and they founded the Alaska Avalanche School, although I don't think they teach on a regular basis anymore. The school is now run by Blaine Smith, Kip Melling and others and they do a fantastic job teaching you how to stay alive and safe in the mtns. They also put on numerous 1-2 hour free seminars as an intro to avalanche safety, I think there is one at the Eagle River Nature Center next Sunday. Plus they do some free beacon training days, usually around Thankgiving, and there is a 'Beacon Park' at Alyeska that you can use to practice your rescue skills. It is near the base of the Tram.
Carl Skustad with the CNFAIC puts out a great advisory that is definite must read information before heading out in the Turnagain Pass area.
Have a blast out there and hope to run into you sometime.

Premium Features