• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

New Sled belt deflection

S
Sep 16, 2016
So I’ve got a new 850 this year and went to set the belt deflection. On past sleds normally what I would do is lift the back end of the sled up and get the track to just creep when setting deflection. On the new one I went to do the same thing but the track would never start to spin even though the belt got super tight. I always rev the sled up after adjusting the belt to get the clutches to reset so I know that isn’t the issue. Any ideas?

tuneman

Lifetime Membership
Jan 16, 2013
Minnesota
www.everettsports.net
Make sure you have the correct belt installed. Then check track tension. Pull the track by hand to check for binding. Are the secondary sheaves closing all the way(belt riding super high)? That's all I can think of off the top of my head.

likkerpig

Lifetime Membership
Nov 28, 2007
Until the track loses the new track stiffness and the track clips and hyfax polish a bit the track takes a lot to rotate. Put on some miles and it should loosen up.
I noticed that on mine last year when setting track tension and alignment after I got a handful of miles on it. Adjusted and rolled way easier after it was ridden a bit.

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
Did you check belt to sheave clearance? I find that this is usually excessive from the factory and requires removing a shim (or shims) and re-clocking the spider.
Just an FYI- this is correct, but requires some knowledge, tools, and big time torque.

Could always set deflection by the book with a straight edge on top of the belt, and wait for things to get broke in before doing the track spin method.

D
Nov 17, 2008
So I’ve got a new 850 this year and went to set the belt deflection. On past sleds normally what I would do is lift the back end of the sled up and get the track to just creep when setting deflection. On the new one I went to do the same thing but the track would never start to spin even though the belt got super tight. I always rev the sled up after adjusting the belt to get the clutches to reset so I know that isn’t the issue. Any ideas?
I have been riding and doing my own work on my sleds for 45 plus years and what you are trying to do is why to tight on the deflection. Might be okay for someone who never lets the machine idle but any idling will cause a build up on the clutch's center which in turn will affect clutch operation. This also makes for harder starting and poor belt life if you do much tree riding. Other responders had good information to follow also.

Premium Features