• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

New Skinz NXT LVL Quick Release Freeride Tunnel Pak

GoBigParts

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Michigan
www.gobigparts.com
New Skinz NXT LVL Quick Release Freeride Tunnel Pak ready to ship!

http://www.gobigparts.com/SPG-NXT-LVL-QUICK-RELEASE-FREERIDE-TUNNEL-PAK.html

241-07496C.jpg

241-07496A.jpg

241-07496B.jpg

R
Feb 29, 2016
Why are they all going to hard covers? I looked at the new Polaris bag and have NO idea how anything would ever stay dry in there. I have a few years old Polaris/Burandt tunnel bag with the twist locks. Love that bag but it will need replacement soon.

I like to carry my scoop shovel over the tunnel bag too. None of these new bags seem like they are going to work for that.

Currently I can slip the scoop under then shock cord woven across the top of the bag and use just one rubber bungee to hold it securely.

GoBigParts

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Michigan
www.gobigparts.com
Why are they all going to hard covers? I looked at the new Polaris bag and have NO idea how anything would ever stay dry in there. I have a few years old Polaris/Burandt tunnel bag with the twist locks. Love that bag but it will need replacement soon.

I like to carry my scoop shovel over the tunnel bag too. None of these new bags seem like they are going to work for that.

Currently I can slip the scoop under then shock cord woven across the top of the bag and use just one rubber bungee to hold it securely.

Not sure other than possibly more protection. Seems like if it is molded with ridges or harder its going to resist damage more from things laying against it such as shovels. That shovel looks pretty big. I am sure you could just lay it right over it and bungie it on like in the picture you posted.

Timbre

Premium Member
Nov 1, 2008
Southwestern Idaho
In addition to that . . . most people use the kind of shovel that comes apart and the 2 pieces slip into a backpack. I am one who prefers to have the shovel in my backpack rather than tied on the sled.

NorthMNSledder

Trail Coordinator
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Ham Lake / Lake of the Woods, MN
In addition to that . . . most people use the kind of shovel that comes apart and the 2 pieces slip into a backpack. I am one who prefers to have the shovel in my backpack rather than tied on the sled.

Why not run both? Put one in your backpack and one on the sled. Kind of nice to not have to remove your backpack when you have to shovel out a sled. Plus I can run a bit bigger shovel on the sled.

Reg2view

Lifetime Membership
Feb 1, 2010
I also run two, one in the ABS bag that is rarely used, and the other on the MT Addiction bag. That way, the ABS bag is always on my back and ready when I might need it, and I have a shovel and at least one saw handy anytime on the sled.

GoBigParts

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Michigan
www.gobigparts.com
I also run two, one in the ABS bag that is rarely used, and the other on the MT Addiction bag. That way, the ABS bag is always on my back and ready when I might need it, and I have a shovel and at least one saw handy anytime on the sled.

This is ideal. I always have one in my backpack in case I get separated from sled in an avy. Also a great idea to have one on your sled as well so you don't have to take off your avy pak to get unstuck.

Nooby

Lifetime Membership
Dec 19, 2013
NE Nebraska
I like the fact that companies are starting to get these bags up off the tunnels.
IMO it helps a lot to keep things cooler.

Nooby

WyoPro

Lifetime Membership
Sep 19, 2008
Laramie, WY

Do you think the tunnel would need reinforced to trailer in a snow blower?? Always thought that would be handy...

R
Feb 29, 2016
Do you think the tunnel would need reinforced to trailer in a snow blower?? Always thought that would be handy...

Everybody laughs about it, until they need help getting unstuck...

That $25 shovel digs better than any avy shovel I have ever seen in our Colorado powder. No assembly required, lightweight, 2 second deployment without digging through a pack. I don't leave home without it. None of my buddies want to carry one but they sure like using it!

Last edited:
R
Feb 29, 2016
Do you carry a different shovel to dig through Avy debris?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Yes I do but, we just avoid those dangerous situations, have never needed it. I stopped hauling around an avy backpack and went to the tunnel bag. I still pack a metal shovel and probe and wear a beacon.

AKFULLTHROTTLE

Lifetime Membership
Dec 20, 2009
Alaska
I replaced my shovel with a turbo a long time ago!

All jokes aside (not joking) a smaller steel shovel is still needed for the heavy avalanche snow in order to cut through it.

To each his own I am sure that larger shovel is very nice when needed.

The hard bag cover definitely protect your gear much better than the soft and also seam to look better at times. I am sure their marketing team saw the want so they made it.

GoBigParts

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Michigan
www.gobigparts.com
I replaced my shovel with a turbo a long time ago!

All jokes aside (not joking) a smaller steel shovel is still needed for the heavy avalanche snow in order to cut through it.

To each his own I am sure that larger shovel is very nice when needed.

The hard bag cover definitely protect your gear much better than the soft and also seam to look better at times. I am sure their marketing team saw the want so they made it.

I would agree. We just were playing with one of these new bags at our shop the other day. Very nice fit and finish on these and having the cover and sides a little harder is nice. Still has nice soft touch surfaces not cheap hard plastic.

Killer Time Racing

Lifetime Membership
Feb 12, 2008
Lower Michigan
I have the now discontinued Polaris Hard Shovel tunnel pack ...

We bought another as soon as I got mine .. the T bars on the lock and ride break on initial install so they quit making them. I also got replacement T bars at $46 a kit ( hence the discontinuation)

This is the pack that ended backpacks for me .. It is almost identical to the one you pictured but has a dry section instide of a soft backed molded Rubber cover with a recess for the shovel to lay in (Polaris , BCA and HMK all have been in mine) and a trench in the Molded shovel top over snaps over the shovel with big plastic buckles similar to the ones on almost any nylon strap .. So it's actually Three pieces a cargo area with zipper mess cover to retain goodies , a soft backed Molded rubber lid with shovel indent, and a molded top that the handle of any common two piece shovel locks into with a trench to hold the shaft and protect pins

Very good design and functional.. I now only carry recovery tools and spare shovel in my avy pack .. going to a Vest this year after the great time I've had with 25 pounds off my back

Last edited:
Premium Features