• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

New Push for Wilderness in McCall

P

PowderGirl

Nov 26, 2007
McCall, Idaho
www.facebook.com
The Secesh Wildlands Coalition is resurrecting the 30 yr old Forest Service reccommended wilderness plan running north to south along the east side of McCall. It sounds like they want to make a few revisions but that it will include about 200,000 acres that run from Loon Lake (north of McCall, accessible by Warren Wagon road) to the Needles mountains south of McCall, east of Lake Fork area. It would encompass the Lick Creek mountains (the mountains east side of Warren Wagon Rd.) and span east to the South Fork River. So wondering if this will include all that precious riding into Brush and Box lakes that you access from Pearl road off of Warren Wagon Road as well as all that awesome riding around Thirtythree, Boulder and Louie Lakes up around Jug Mountain? I'm sure it does. Sounds like we'll see arial photos soon with the proposals if they are not already out. I'll watch for them and post more info as I see it.

Motive for this Wilderness is for better protection of wildlife and their migration patterns - which would also create cooridors between other Wilderness areas from Hells Canyon to the Frank Church and Gospel Hump wildernesses.

B

Bkinz

May 14, 2009
Lewiston,ID
This is kinda funny to me, because I just did a persuasive speech at school. Stating that we already have plenty of wilderness, as is. I mean Idaho has the 2nd highest acreage of wilderness in the U.S. 1st is Alaska.
I should give my speech to the forest service.

W
Nov 2, 2001
Boise, Id
The Secesh Wildlands Coalition is resurrecting the 30 yr old Forest Service reccommended wilderness plan running north to south along the east side of McCall. It sounds like they want to make a few revisions but that it will include about 200,000 acres that run from Loon Lake (north of McCall, accessible by Warren Wagon road) to the Needles mountains south of McCall, east of Lake Fork area. It would encompass the Lick Creek mountains (the mountains east side of Warren Wagon Rd.) and span east to the South Fork River. So wondering if this will include all that precious riding into Brush and Box lakes that you access from Pearl road off of Warren Wagon Road as well as all that awesome riding around Thirtythree, Boulder and Louie Lakes up around Jug Mountain? I'm sure it does. Sounds like we'll see arial photos soon with the proposals if they are not already out. I'll watch for them and post more info as I see it.

Motive for this Wilderness is for better protection of wildlife and their migration patterns - which would also create cooridors between other Wilderness areas from Hells Canyon to the Frank Church and Gospel Hump wildernesses.

The wildlife part is BS and they know it. If it does come to pass, hopefully, it stays just in the South Fork Salmon drainage. Right where lick creek road drops off the hill, down to the river. That area is too low to ride most years. If it goes up into Box Lake, and west Secesh, we need to fight like hell. CIRC is pushing for them to add French Creek, and Granite to it also. Everything along the west side of Warren, but not over into Goose, or Hazard.

Whatever happens, it's not good for sledders.

W
Nov 2, 2001
Boise, Id
This is kinda funny to me, because I just did a persuasive speech at school. Stating that we already have plenty of wilderness, as is. I mean Idaho has the 2nd highest acreage of wilderness in the U.S. 1st is Alaska.
I should give my speech to the forest service.

Yha, I already gave the Forest Service the speech about the Payette National
Forest already having plenty of Wilderness. Like 850,000 acres. They didn't care. More is better. Before this is over, they'll want everything from Deadwood north to the main Salmon. With a little West Mountain.

B

Bkinz

May 14, 2009
Lewiston,ID
Ya i know, it was a hard subject to find info for my side of the story. It was a bunch of tree huggin hippie crap. One guy summed it up in one sentence though. quote"It is just a bunch of wheel lover n land developers vs tree huggers and waffle stompers." I thought that was pretty true for the most part.

Premium Features