• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

New Honda 450 RX

S
About a week ago Honda released their 450 RX. This is a FI and Electric start bike. I've been looking at getting a snow bike and had kinda settled in on the Yamaha YZ 450 FX because there are two things I want in a snowbike, FI and E-start. SO, for you CRF and YZ snow bikers out there, What is your Input on these bikes? Has Honda finally come up with something?

R

Rush44

Nov 26, 2007
Flathead Valley, MT
I read the tech specs extensively and I have to say this is a awesome leap forward for Honda. I was a huge Honda fan back in the day and I have been hoping that they would be doing a ground up change to the bike soon and it looks like they did. I've also been hearing rumblings of a 300 offering, but I'm not sure if it's just wishful thinking or an actual project. Seems like Honda is gunning for KTM/Husky (who isn't these days). Hard Enduro is gaining mainstream popularity and I expect other manufacturers to follow suit. My rule is I never buy a new ground up bike the first year and let the people with more cash to burn to figure them out... but I can't wait to ride one.

G
Dec 20, 2007
Three Forks, MT
I like that the Honda has electric and kick start, as well as a close ratio gear box.

Seems like winning combination for a snow bike.

The real question is can the motor match the Yamaha or KTM?

wwillf01

Lifetime Membership
Aug 12, 2012
Heber Ut
The problems I have seen with people running Hondas I ride with is there seems to be more condensation in the oil with the split chamber design..... You get a large different between the 2 oil temps.... At least that was out theory on why you would get more water in one side than the other.. Still stone cold reliable.....

R

Rush44

Nov 26, 2007
Flathead Valley, MT
The problems I have seen with people running Hondas I ride with is there seems to be more condensation in the oil with the split chamber design..... You get a large different between the 2 oil temps.... At least that was out theory on why you would get more water in one side than the other.. Still stone cold reliable.....

They did away with the split oil design and lowered the overall oil volume with the 2017 lineup. I also like how you can buy the race bike and add on the e-start.

SteepNdeep450

Lifetime Membership
Jan 1, 2014
Bozeman, MT

Had my first year last year on an 09 and it was fine early in the season but seemed like the two late season days I got out both the Trans side was white after one ride. Engine side was fine.

But yes as rush said it looks like they've gone away from the split case. I was super surprised when I read that the other day.

They did away with the split oil design and lowered the overall oil volume with the 2017 lineup. I also like how you can buy the race bike and add on the e-start.

On one hand I'm not sold on that idea because I think it was extra insurance. But it is nice to just drain it all with one bolt and only use a quart instead of having two different oils. Although in the summer I love using that 80w trans oil in my Hondas. Seems to hold up.

wwillf01

Lifetime Membership
Aug 12, 2012
Heber Ut
Agreed that is the same thing we saw... But even on my 2s water would start showing up after 2 rides...

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Premium Features