• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

New Elite Backcountry Riding School.

Thread Rating
5.00 star(s)
S

snowww1

Elite Backcountry Riding School.Training with Ride Rasmussen Style and Avalanche1.

picture.php

Avalanche1.com

Northern Big Horns of Wyoming. January 21-25, 2015

Greater Lake Tahoe Area, Nevada. February 11-15, 2015

Trestle Lake Area, Idaho. February 25-March 1, 2015

All details and sign-up:

www.sledchatter.com
http://sledchatter.com

Mike Duffy
Avalanche1.com
Avalanche training for mountain riders.

Awesome.. you have one right in our "backyard" in Tahoe area!!

Will Tony be on this trip?

What is the Rider experience level? I'd like to bring some people that are fairly new to the whole backcountry thing.

So I asked Bret your question and here is the answer regarding the rider experience level:

"When I take a group out we will do a basic skills training and through this I can divide the group according to skill set and work with them in this manner. We do not put on a lot of miles so when we find a place suitable for exercises I’ll work with the novice riders in the more moderate terrain, then leave them to practice a bit while we find a little bit more challenging terrain for the more advanced riders. Bottom line is that there will be plenty of time during the day to work with everyone on an individual level knowing that all will be thoroughly tested and worn out before returning to the house!"

Regards,

Ride Rasmussen Style

Bret Rasmussen

Hope that answers your question. Not sure who will be attending with Bret. Will try to find out.

Mike Duffy
Avalanche1.com

Mike... Thanks for that.

Also... Some questions our readers may want to understand.

What is the max number of spots open for these sessions and will you stick to that?

Class size plays a big role in this kind of thing... so instructor to student ratio is very important.

Besides Bret, how many other experienced clinic-instructors will be teaching?

Will each person in the clinic(s) be guaranteed time with Bret?

For the on-snow Avy training... will we be using our sleds for this?
How many in the avy group?

Thanks... sounds like a great event!!

Last edited:
10 riders per session and we hold to that. Each session has two days with Bret and one day with me. Waiting to hear from Bret as to who his assistants will be.

One session of 10 riders completes the course and then we do another 10 riders. 20 total at each location.

Bret will have one on one with everyone.

Avalanche training will be using sleds to access terrain/scenarios. Last year we kept it to right outside the lodge in the Big Horns due to the cold temperatures. That way people could warm up if necessary and we could get in plenty of training. Our guests preferred to do it that way and we want to exceed our guest's expectations. Mike Duffy

Just heard from Bret. He will have one other instructor with him. 5:1 student to teacher ratio. At some locations we will have more assistants to help out.

Tony will most likely not be in the Tahoe area. He has a very busy schedule.

The avalanche classes will have 10 people with me. I may have an assistant. I break the 10 into two teams and when one team is working a scenario, I am coaching the other. It keeps everyone busy the entire time and the learning progresses as fast as each team learns. I've done 800+ scenarios over the years and have a good system in place for learning fast.

Hope this answers your questions and hope to see you there. Mike

Premium Features

Back