• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

need some help all

wellfed777

Lifetime Membership
sled- 04 edge 800 slp single/ported /attcc/slp head/bored carbs
(5500'-8500' elivation)

problem- it loads up real bad when i try to give it 3/4-full throttle
then it clears out and runs good till i let off and slow down and then try to get back on it then it misses/stuters then will clear out once i can hold it full for a bit (idles fine 0-1/4 throttle seem fine)

things i've tried or changed - checked all wiring(unhooked the hood /brake light/hand heaters /throttle safety = no change

checked plug wires changed plugs = no change

changed jeting - i have the attcc(compinsator) its always worked good but last year i kept jeting up because i thought my plugs looked a little light in color so after a few changes by the end of the year i had 490/500 jets in it
:eek: (seemed to big but it ran fine)
so i'm thinking its to rich so i jet down and down to 440s (little change)
so i'm thinking the attcc is messed up so yesterday i said screw it and put 400s in it and unhooked the attcc it was better but not fixed?

so pulled a good climb and checked the plugs too light(lean) for my liking so i'm thinking it can't be to rich but don't have anything left to try so i hooked the attcc back up to see and no change

any help would be great guys
it does'nt seem electrical it seems like carbs but i'm stumped if the only other piece of info i got is that it seems better when i come down in elv. so again it seem like a rich thing but with 400s the plugs looked tan not chocolate??

thanks garth (and thats the rest of the story):D

I wouldn't worry as much about plug color as I would piston wash. IMO - the best way to know your jetting is working.

To me, you sound rich, real rich. I am running 480s at sea level with a 02 800 (with the hot 02 timing curve)

Look at this article on Bikeman's site for a good expliation:

http://www.bikemanperformance.com/tech_detail.php?ta=4

Problem with color is so much goes into making the color. Different fuels and oil can change the color, and even oil pump settings can (more oil = darker)

check the exhaust valves - clean them. Get lighter spring in valves. Also check your needle position, should be in #2

Your jetting sounds WAY fat. I have an 05 800, prefilters, gutted airbox, can and run 340s - plugs are cardboard brown - 6-9K elevation. It came stock w/350s.
HTH

Check exhaust valve bellows. Sound like you may have one with torn bellows. Pull the black caps off. If you have black nasty gooey stuff on the top side facing the black caps, it is torn. The top side should be clean. If they are clean, now grab them and see if they slike easy up and down. If not, you have a dirty valve that is sticking closed. Either situation will make a motor run the way you have decribed.

great thanks i'll check out what all you guys said

ultra i'm pulling the power valves as we speak i will see if there in good working order

yeah i know they came stock with 350s so thats why i keep thinking RICH

as to piston wash i have a little tube lite but i'm not sure how to read it
i guess i better learn how

Last edited:
The majority of your piston top should be covered in carbon just like the tip of your spark plulg. What you are looking for is where the intake ports line up with the piston, the incoming fuel will "wash" the carbon off the piston leaving it clean. You want this area of clean piston about the size of your pinky fingernail- to the size of your thumb nail. The smaller the clean spot, the leaner you are running as it is the raw unburnt fuel that is "wahing" your piston top clean just like it does to your hands when you use gas to clean our hands. Hope this makes sense. Everyone has their personal opinion as what is best or just how far to take it. This will put you in the average ballpark.

Last edited:
Yep, check your wash. My guess is you are going to find the wash to be half your piston or more. Way fat. Your jetting at 400 is fat with 02 needles, 04 should be about 5 sizes leaner.

power valves look perfect belowes intact was thinking i'd change belows since their out ??

piston wash looks pretty good i think not way rich but not real lean
(looked at the side/skirt on ex. side looked great:D)

the needle clip was way down ???
thinking that would cause the midrange flooding?
(can't belive i did'nt check them yesterday:mad:)

thanks all
by the way running blue marble and the power valves are very clean

devilrmk
yeah its looking that way its just strange i don't know if my attcc was slowly messing up through out last season or what cause it ran pretty good ?

also when do you check wash for the best read because i'm reading mine in the garage the next day after i rode back to the truck and lost 2000' elv.

devilrmk
yeah its looking that way its just strange i don't know if my attcc was slowly messing up through out last season or what cause it ran pretty good ?

also when do you check wash for the best read because i'm reading mine in the garage the next day after i rode back to the truck and lost 2000' elv.

Ideally you want to check you wash just like you do your plugs. Right after a wot pull. However, the was does not change as quickly as the plugs do. Your needle should most likely be in the 3rd, middle clip.

thanks all think i=you got i figured

i guess i'll jet down more and keep checking plugs and wash
when i go out i'll bring a bunch of jets and try to figure if my attcc is still working correctly cause i'd like to hook it back up we get alot of temp. variance and its nice for that

thanks again garth
probably better bring heavier wieghts also for my new found hp:D

Problem #1 is trying to read the color of your plugs running Blue Marble oil, you cant go by the plug color running that oil, they will always look lean no matter how fat you run it.

You will end up jetting it between 370's to 390's needle clip in the middle position with a SLP single and porting. Stay away from the altitude compensator on modded motors.

I finally had to change oils to get mine set by reading the plugs. There is nothing wrong with Blue Marble oil except it runs so clean your plugs will never turn brown or black no matter how fat you jet it.

ok guys will do

as for tossing the attcc i don't know yet they work sweet i've had one for years on different sleds here in Oregon the weather/temp changes alot you start the day at 15 deg. and by 1pm its 45 deg. and your sled is fat not to mention elevation changes so i'll have to see :confused:

oldrmk i did check out the link thanks a the pics are sweet

garth

There may be a problem with your accs. There is a bellows on them that if it gets a hole or anything wierd they wont close off ur fuel flow properly when u go up in elevation and you will run way rich.

victory now

IT RUNS!!!!:face-icon-small-hap
removed the atacc and jetted it with 390/400 i picked up about 300 rpm
(a little rich you think) so now i'm gonna ad some rivet wieght i right now i got 1g in the middle hole
was wondering if there are advantages to useing only the tip hole or only the middle hole or a combination i know the tip makes more inpact on rpms but not sure the best setup any thought guys

thanks again for all the help
garth

Glad to hear your getting it sorted out, you will probably end up at around 380's when its all said and done.

I'm running an '04 with the slp single performance edition, porting and cheater head along with gutted airbox and slp intakes, didn't bore the carbs. Running 380's and 64 gram weights at 6000 to 9000 feet.

You can grab about 2 jet sizes fatter by pulling the hoses off the airbox when you are riding a lower elevation until you get up on the moantain a ways.

Premium Features

Back