• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Need pointers on getting work please.

T
Nov 27, 2007
Blackfoot Idaho
Im trying to get a job on the slope or at mine. Or anything that has a 14 and 14 schedule. I have lots of experiance runing equipment doing anything from roads to recovering nulear waste. If its anything like the jobs i have had its who you know not what you know. Unfortinatly i only now a couple people up there. I have sent resumes to lots of places. Just dont now if im sending them to the right places. Any help would be grately apriciated.
Thanks

A

aktreekiller

Dec 16, 2008
Anchorage, Ak
hmm

It is who you know, and not what you know anymore, especially on the slope. I'v worked up there for three years, and you just have to be patient and get your foot in the door and meet people up there. Have you tried chm2hill? There non-union and hire alot of summer help, just a way to get up there anyways. The low oil prices will slow down hiring, but theres still work to be done for sure. Try to exclude yourself from everyone else that applies up there. For instance, I'm a crane operator, and they always need those. Get a parts runnner postion or something like that and find a better job when your there. good luck.

H
Apr 5, 2008
Eagle River, AK
This link will take you to the Alaska Industry Support Alliance website. The Alliance is a trade organization formed by companies that support the oil, gas, and mining industries up here. Their jobs link doesn't actually list jobs, but it lists the job websites of all the members. Most of the North Slope jobs are not with the oil companies, but with these support companies.

I know several guys who've gotten on with Schlumberger lately; most of these contractors should be hiring, although the current slump in oil prices has people being cautious right now.

Generally, the oil and gas industry will be hiring and growing over the next several years (I don't know much about mining, sorry). A lot of current slope workers are getting ready to retire, and the industry didn't do a very good job of developing a sustained workforce. Most thought that the Slope would play out by now, so they didn't try to bring in a new generation. Now we're trying to play catch up, so it's a great opportunity to get your foot in the door.

Like the previous poster said, though, you might need to take a laborer job to get started (slick line, etc), and once you're up there and you've proven that you're reliable, doors will open for better positions in the things you are looking for.

God bless!

Greg

Premium Features