• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Need opinion on whether to bit*% or not

M
Jan 7, 2009
Moscow, ID
I recently bought a 2004 VE 800 with 1400 miles on it. Before I even had a chance to ride it I check the run out on the crankshaft and found out it was way out of whack. After sending the bottom end down to SLP they told me I needed a total engine rebuild as the rods were pitted, pin bearings shot, etc etc. Long story shot sled had been ridden hard and put away wet. $800 later I might have the sled back next week at the earliest to ride. Glad I looked it over before I rode as the SLP guy said this motor was quickly on its way out. So I am a little pissed needless to say. To I have any merit to inform the seller that he sold me a lemon? Supposedly this was a back of sled and not ridden hard. I beg to differ. Opinions? I just needed to ***** to someone.

sled_guy

Premium Member
Jul 5, 2001
Riverton, Utah
You bought a Polaris 800 big block without checking the runout first?

Everyone's idea of 'backup sled' is different.

Tough lessoned learned, but saying anything to the seller isn't going to help.

And $800 for a complete rebuild including crank is a bargain.

sled_guy

skibreeze

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2005
Colorado Springs
You bought a Polaris 800 big block without checking the runout first?

Everyone's idea of 'backup sled' is different.

Tough lessoned learned, but saying anything to the seller isn't going to help.

And $800 for a complete rebuild including crank is a bargain.

sled_guy

Agreed.

On top of that how is the seller supposed to know what the inside of a motor looks like? I just sold my dad's old sled and I have no idea what the inside looks like and I didn't check crank runout, it's not my job as a seller to know or check.

O
Sep 30, 2009
I would say be happy that you cought it now, if it went you would have been SOL and spending big $$

Now I bought a 02 800 RMK, and it's all stock, low miles, and I am worried about it myself, but I am choosing to ride it and check it all in the summer and do the bearing update then.

Just make sure you check the clutch balance on the clutch. I had it done here for $15 to check it, another $15 to balance it. Mine was within .1 oz so they didn't touch it, said they probably couldnt get it much better than that.

S

sodfarmer

Dec 5, 2007
IMHO you have nothing to complain about. You did not check runout before you bought it. I made a similar mistake when I bought my sled. After 2 crank rebuilds and a couple pistons due to detonation due to an overshaved head. I learned my lesson the hard way. Good thing is that it taught me alot.

good luck.

M
Jan 7, 2009
Moscow, ID
Agreed

I agree I should have checkout out the run out, but getting a hold of a primary clutch puller is a nightmare i found out. The sled was in Moses lake as well so add the 3hr ride on top of being jacked to buy another sled... just asking for it I guess. The owner had a $150K drag car in his garage and had money to boot, asked him if he rode the sled and he said no. You'd think they would take better care of there toys. Oh well. Lesson learned, thanks for the input guys!

Premium Features