• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

need new pistons

C
Oct 20, 2009
union, OR
I melted a piston last weekend. And i was wondering what kind i should put in it. I have an 04 king cat 900. it has reeds, cpi twin pipes and a speed werx head. any help would be great. thanks.

P

paulharris

Dec 12, 2007
Colorado
i would recommend the stock arctic cat pistons although they are a bit more expensive. are pistons something you really want to go cheap on? its a pretty important part.

mp_2009

Lifetime Membership
Dec 21, 2007
Great Falls MT
just cause they are cheaper doesnt mean they are a lower grade product i know a few ppl who run them no problems buddy just put them in his new engine ran the piss out of it all day didnt miss a beat i just think they are the most bang for your buck no reason to spend extra money when you can get stuff thats not name brand but just as good for alittle less just my 0.02

P

paulharris

Dec 12, 2007
Colorado
just cause they are cheaper doesnt mean they are a lower grade product i know a few ppl who run them no problems buddy just put them in his new engine ran the piss out of it all day didnt miss a beat i just think they are the most bang for your buck no reason to spend extra money when you can get stuff thats not name brand but just as good for alittle less just my 0.02

he ran the piss out of it all day for 1 day huh? lol. what about 1 year from now....or 2 years from now that is what i would be concerned about. they may be fine but in most cases you get what you pay for and pistons are not something i would try to go cheap you spent thousands on the sled why try to save a hundred bucks on the most important part of your engine

Last edited:

sprockethead

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Northern UT
I have run the SPI coated pistons in my 900 twins (3) and other Cats for years and had no problem with them. When my 900 came apart (the piston skirt broke) it was stock Cat pistons with only a few rides on them. I was all for using the stock Cat ones until that. So after a new case, crank half and bearings, full gasket set, pistons, one rebuilt cylinder and a insert for my aftermarket head, I will stick with the SPI's, they work well!

Sprocket

mp_2009

Lifetime Membership
Dec 21, 2007
Great Falls MT
he ran the piss out of it all day for 1 day huh? lol. what about 1 year from now....or 2 years from now that is what i would be concerned about. they may be fine but in most cases you get what you pay for and pistons are not something i would try to go cheap you spent thousands on the sled why try to save a hundred bucks on the most important part of your engine

that was just an example i have a thread on here about the pistons look it up and take a look theres more then just the one i gave an example off my oem pistons on my 900 failed after 1200 miles broke the piston skirt off destroyed the entire more crank and all not saying spi cant either but they seem to be good and have heard nothing but good i have set sittin in my garage because of what i have heard about them

Last edited:
F
Dec 10, 2007
Yellowknife, NWT
Iam going to agree with the guys on SPI coated pistons, Ebay you get them at a great price and they last, i run them in everything i have 03 firecat F7 and F5, 08 IQR 800 mono block, and i put tons of kms per season on sleds and they hold up great IMO

Premium Features