• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Need help!! 2012 HCR

O
Feb 3, 2009
Gillette wy
I have a 2012 HCR that has been in summer storage in my back yard shed since April 2015. I have gone out once a month to start it up and let it run for a few minutes to run fuel and sta-bil thru the system. I went out yesterday 10/4/15 to do the same thing but it will not fire up... I checked the kill switch and al the wiring behind the kill switch block on the handlebar and everything is fine. I checked the tether connection and cleaned everything up just in case, and still nothing. I then moved to the plugs, I removed all 4 spark plugs and gave the sled 20 pulls to make sure it wasn't loaded up and put 4 brand new spark plugs back in, I checked the plugs for spark on the head bolt and I have blue spark all the way around. Lastly put a little bit of fuel down the cylinder and it would fire right up first pull and run for 3-5 seconds until it used up the fuel and then it would die again. I did this 4 times hoping it just needed a few tries to get everything flowing again but no such luck. Everything sounds like a fuel supply issue but everytime I check a plug they are wet with fuel/oil?? Maybe it is getting SOME fuel in but not enough to fire?? What else can I check? I started pricing fuel pumps but I want to try and avoid spending 400$ on a new pump if I'm not sure that's exactly what the problem is.
Thank you in advance for your help!

polarisfornow

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jun 2, 2008
Beautiful Colorado
Smart valves in the tank are a pretty common issue on these sleds. Is your tank pretty full? Pull out the assembly and verify that its working.

F
Apr 5, 2009
i had something like that. checked spark and made sure it was full of gas. in the end I just had to hold the throttle at 1/2 throttle and it started in 1-2 pulls and starts everytime now. think it had something to do with the tss. hope this helps

Buz

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Vancouver, Wa
Throw a couple more of gallons in the tank. If that doesn't do it. Check the smart valves and at the same time do the smart valve mod listed on HCS site.

O
Feb 3, 2009
Gillette wy
I removed the fuel line from the fuel rail and gave it a couple pulls, there is a steady stream... would it be safe to say the pump is working? If not, where is the fuel pump located? is it in the tank?

Also,
I eliminated the tss possibility when the sled would fire right up with a little fuel in the cylinder right?

It seems like my issue would be from the fuel rail on as I have plenty of fuel supply from the fuel line out of the tank?

Thanks for the help!

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
Open the throttle a little while pulling it over.

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Red Lodge MT to North, CO
Unplug the fuel pump wires and put power to the fuel pump backwards for a second or 2, then put power to the right side to pressure it up. Plug back in and start.

Make sure your hood is plugged in and any other sensors.

O
Feb 3, 2009
Gillette wy
I have pulled with the throttle wide open even and still nothing.... messed with it again last night and the pull cord broke.... hopefully get the new rope on this weekend and hopefully get this dang thing running.

J
Nov 28, 2013
Hcr hard to start

My 2013 sometimes won't start I pull it over about 10 times with kill switch off then turn on switch and give it a little gas as you pull it over . Usually starts first pull after this

J

jd87

Oct 2, 2014
unplug both injectors and touch 12v to each injector to "shock" it.it will click open.put all back together and should start.happens often on sleds that sit.seen it many times in my shop

O
Feb 3, 2009
Gillette wy
She's running!
After I got the pull cord replaced this morning and I was able to get in touch with a friend of mine who is an old arctic cat dealer mechanic. He said these cats are notorious for the fuel pump loosing prime, especially when it sits all summer or it is ran to low on fuel. He had me open the right side panel, locate the 1/4" black fuel line where it hooks up to the fuel rail, loosen the hose clamp and pull the fuel line off. I put the fuel line in a 5 gal gas can so it would not leak all over the place. I pulled the cord probably 12 times before I could hear a steady line of fuel coming out of the line, hooked the line back up and she started right up! I must have pulled this thing over 50 times before trying this and the fuel just couldn't get passed the air pocket in the line. So just an FYI for any other pro climb owners if something like this happens it might save you a lot of diagnostic time to try this first. I was also told this happens every now and then when they lay on their side for too long as well?? I guess we will see.

Premium Features