• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Need DMV title for Polaris 2001 RMK 800

T
Apr 21, 2011
Lake Tahoe
I need a DMV title for a Polaris 2001 RMK 800. If you crashed or otherwise destroyed your sled and still have the title, I will pay for your paperwork.

I'm in California and bought a sled from someone who brought it to CA from Idaho. By the time I got around to registering it, the seller was long gone, and I discovered Idaho requires title, so CA DMV won't let me register. Any advice appreciated.

T
Apr 21, 2011
Lake Tahoe
I'm not asking anyone to do anything illegal. I want someone to sell me their snowmobile and they can keep the snowmobile. That's unusual, but not illegal.

I want more than anything for a legit way to go about this, and that's why I asked for advice, too. This is my first sled, and I just didn't know what paperwork was required.

Last edited:
B
Nov 26, 2007
Salt Lake City
Title

I had a similar situation with a ProX that I bought from ND. Bought the chassis and by time I got around to getting the motor ready I had misplaced the title.
In Utah, they have a form that you fill out then have a VIN ispection by a law enforcement officer who does a stolen vehicle search and if it comes back clear he signs the form. You then take the form to the DMV along with 3photographs of the sled and they issue you a new title.

Check to see if CA has a similar process.

Reactions: TahoeSkiBum

sledhed

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 19, 2001
Lolo, Montana
I had a similar situation with a ProX that I bought from ND. Bought the chassis and by time I got around to getting the motor ready I had misplaced the title.
In Utah, they have a form that you fill out then have a VIN ispection by a law enforcement officer who does a stolen vehicle search and if it comes back clear he signs the form. You then take the form to the DMV along with 3photographs of the sled and they issue you a new title.

Check to see if CA has a similar process.
In Montana I think they call that a bonded title, not sure if you pay a bond or how it works exactly, but it is the only legal way to get a title in this kind of case.

T
Apr 21, 2011
Lake Tahoe
I did find one possible solution with CA DMV that involves getting something called a surety bond. I'm going to look into that further, so thanks for the suggestions that got me looking in the right direction.

Meanwhile, I'm still open to title purchase if anyone is interested.

Premium Features