• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

my speedometer stopped working, I need some help.

J
Nov 19, 2008
anchorage
The speedometer stopped working on my 2002 vertical edge 800 156" can anyone tell me whats involved with fixing it? Someone told me it not that hard like a $ 5 part? you can IM me on yahoo at jarspoon3 if you want. thanks.

R

RATED-X

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Dec 3, 2007
Wasilla
My guess would be either the square keyway on the drive axle(clutch side) or the speedo cable is broken.

T

theultrarider

Nov 26, 2007
Soldotna Alaska
Like was just said it is most likely the key from the driveshaft to the speedo drive right under your secondary clutch. 3 botls and 10 min to change. However, beware that the main cause of this happening is that the bearing on that end of the driveshaft is starting to go out and moving around on you. You do not want that bearing to fail in the back country. A $20 bearing can and will take out the chain and chaincase on the other side costing you big bucks and a miserable time trying to get it back to the truck. Sometimes you just get moisture in the speedo cable and it's frozen. That too can take out the little key, but if you haven't changed that driveshaft bearing in the past couple of years, now might be a good time to do it.

J
Nov 19, 2008
anchorage
Thanks RATED-X, my friends gonna come over after my dentist appointment and help me get the sled up so i can check the bearing also. Polaris told me to check the bearing and make sure thats not what caused it to break. I'll let you know when i find out.

thanks, Jeff

K
Mar 16, 2008
It's an easy fix. I just changed all the drive and jackshaft brngs on my friends sled last week. The bearing you need is about $30

T

theultrarider

Nov 26, 2007
Soldotna Alaska
The bearing is wasted. Gonna get up early to get started on it, hopefully someones got a bearing in stock.
thanks for the help!

Cool, Glad you caught it before it left you stranded and cost you big bucks. Pretty easy to change out that bearing as long as you are in a heated garage this morning. -10 here!

MARV1

Lifetime Membership
May 3, 2004
Kotlik, AK
Get the bearing out or at least the # and bring it to AK bearing and they should have what you need! APS/Marita should have it also but will cost you twice as much.

J
Nov 19, 2008
anchorage
yeah i got the last one from Ak bearing, he said they have them specially made. It was $25. Marita wanted $38.73
was a pretty easy job for never doing one before. Luckley my friend came and helped me. He has done them before. took like 1 and a half hour to get it all apart and like 2 1/2 to get it back together. Thanks for all the info guys.

M
Nov 27, 2007
Mulletville, AK.
yeah i got the last one from Ak bearing, he said they have them specially made. It was $25. Marita wanted $38.73
was a pretty easy job for never doing one before. Luckley my friend came and helped me. He has done them before. took like 1 and a half hour to get it all apart and like 2 1/2 to get it back together. Thanks for all the info guys.

Good to hear that you got your sled going. What I really want to know is how the dentist appointment went?

Premium Features