• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

My CAMSO "Conquer 280" experience with Tracks USA on AXYS 850

Prayn4snow

Lifetime Membership
Just passing my experience with Tracks USA from last week, anyone else have such great customer service?
Took my 2019 Axys RMK 850 155" w/factory 3" to their shop in Lake Lillian MN to see what would fit. I wanted to try the new Conquer 280. I also wanted to possibly go from a 155" to 162".
The owners Tony (son), Bruce (Dad), Kathy (Mother) Vruwink and co-worker longtime family friend Ben are all great to talk to over the phone, e-mail or in person. Starting out as a small Mom & Pop company to thriving as America's largest track dealer they have seen it all. That experience really helped when comparing many isles of tracks. Tony pointed out the pros & cons of the different tracks that would fit my sled and most importantly my riding style. I needed a track that could do everything and go everywhere I travel. Last winter for example I rode Upper MI, WI, MT, CO, ID, WY, BC and AK. So the stock 3" was out of the question as its a great track for bottomless pow that I wouldn't see everywhere. If you have never changed a track before I will try attaching some pics and show you how to do it. Overall my experience with Tracks USA was awesome and beyond my expectations.
1st pic Unloading sled at one of their warehouses.
2nd pic: To remove the track, remove the sides, hood, springs for can, can and drain oil or remove quick drive belt.
3rd: Remove brake caliper and brake rotor (17mm).
4th: Remove the front 2 suspension bolts under footwell, 17mm.
5th: Remove 2 rear suspension bolts, 17mm.
6th: It helps to remove the plastic push pins to make more room for removing the quick drive belt & pulleys or chain case.
7th: After removing clutchs, remove the T-40 bolts holding the driveshaft.
8th: Remove chain case cover, tensioner, and bolts holding drive sprocket.
9th: Good time to inspect each for wear or to change gearing. FYI stock top gear was 19 tooth on 3" track

8.jpg 9.jpg 10.jpg 11.jpg 12.jpg 13.jpg 14.jpg 15.jpg 16.jpg

Last edited:
I will update my thought on the 2.8" Conquer 280 as I get some more miles on it. Part of the reasons for picking this track (info from catalog):
This is the lightest mountain design track providing the ultimate in flotation, traction and performance. Increased avail HP from less rotating mass. Next Gen lug design requires 20% less rider input on turns, 25% less throttle to hold side hills. 2.8" alternating single-angled push performance in all season riding conditions.
Thats a tall order, so time will tell how well it does.

I'm thinking that when all the lugs are chewed off on my stock 3" 174 thats the track I'll replace it with.

I've never had any issues with lug damage on any other track other than these Series VII 3" Polaris tracks ...

More details on how easy it is swapping the track.
1st pic Stock bottom 44 tooth gear.
2nd Prop up handlebar and lay sled on its side to make it easier to remove the rear skid frame.
3rd Handlebar stand can be improvised with even a block of wood if its solid.
4th Once the skid is out, start removing the drive shaft.
5th Turn the flange so you can gain extra clearance to pull up on the driveshaft to remove from chain case.
6th Good time to inspect, and/or change drivers

18.jpg 20.jpg 21.jpg 22.jpg 23.jpg 24.jpg

I'm thinking that when all the lugs are chewed off on my stock 3" 174 thats the track I'll replace it with.

I've never had any issues with lug damage on any other track other than these Series VII 3" Polaris tracks ...

Its crazy how much lighter this track is than the stock or even the Challenger Extreme. I weighed them all. I will look to see if I still have the pics it was really substantial.

I wanted to swap to a slightly longer track, but they didn't think it would work so we tried their rail extensions and found we needed to do some extensive modifications to see if we could make it work. They designed these rail extensions and I must admit these things are pretty beefy.
Ive been doing long tracks since the early 90's and I'm embarrassed over some of the crazy contraptions we made years ago. We made our own long track sleds with longer tracks from 2 up sleds, drop and roll kits, home made rail extensions and even made plastic and aluminum lugs that we would bolt on. It was a big deal to have 1-1/2" paddles lol. When the factories came out with stock 136" it was the perfect time to see how far we could stretch it and rail extensions were the ways to do it. Back then they were not tied together like these ones are and were a weak point. These extensions actually stiffened up the rear rails. Long story short Tony's Dad Butch (founder) got out the old CNC and we modified a set and TIGed them up to see if we could get them to work. We failed at this attempt because this track was to tight so we didn't end up going with the longer track or the extensions, but this is exactly how Tracks USA finds out what works and what doesn't. So when you call with crazy questions like I do, they did what makes small American Mom & Pop businesses the envy of the world by pulling up their sleeves and getting their hands dirty. I wish more companies followed this work ethics. There is nothing worse than ordering parts, getting them delivered, pulling your sled apart at home and finding out something doesn't fit.

Last edited:
Pic's of rail extension how to:
1. Remove rear axle shaft and wheels with 5/8".
2. Remove Track tensioner brackets. Stock ones are riveted on. Drilling or grinding off heads.
3. Tracks USA rail extensions are made for most sled brands, and track sizes. This is for the Polaris Axys.
4. Its hard to see how they lay inside the rails and are actually twice the thickness of the rails then relief CNC'd where they mate up with the factory rail. They bolt on through the factory rivet holes and have additional supports that you drill out and bolt on. Impressively ridged when bolted together.
5. Rail extension with 162"
6. Bruce doing some custom work

25.jpg 26.jpg 28.jpg 29.jpg 30.jpg 31.jpg

Last edited:
I saw the utube vid online with the pros endorsing the 2.8 but ironicly enough I pm chris and he said stay stock, so did 2 other pro riders that's not in that vid, after me buying a track ,it really pissed me off. These guys say one thing only cause ther getting paid to say so, now I dont believe a word that chris says anymore regarding products.

I saw the utube vid online with the pros endorsing the 2.8 but ironicly enough I pm chris and he said stay stock, so did 2 other pro riders that's not in that vid, after me buying a track ,it really pissed me off. These guys say one thing only cause ther getting paid to say so, now I dont believe a word that chris says anymore regarding products.

Hey Snobyrd,
I haven't seen the video however I understand endorsements. When I raced companies wanted me to push their products even though some actually made the sled handle worse or actually slower. Ive been done with that years ago. I like honest feedback from people and yes you can still get it from forums. FYI, Im not getting paid from Camso or Tracks USA so I'm just an average guy that is never satisfied with stock so I try to see what works best for me. Keep in mind that what works for me and my age, style, abilities and riding locations doesn't represent everyone.
What I really appreciate is companies like Tracks USA that take the time to answer questions like I have and help me figure out what is best for me. My retirement money doesn't go as far so I try to make educated guesses now ;)

Like to see a nice back to back opinion of this track vs stock vs extreme, :juggle::juggle::juggle:

I agree, Im hoping to get out with a couple of friends soon with different track options. Ill let you know how that goes. Just picking up the stock track and comparing it to the 280 is substantially different. The 280 is way lighter!

Last edited:
Hey Snobyrd,
I haven't seen the video however I understand endorsements. When I raced companies wanted me to push their products even though some actually made the sled handle worse or actually slower. Ive been done with that years ago. I like honest feedback from people and yes you can still get it from forums. FYI, Im not getting paid from Camso or Tracks USA so I'm just an average guy that is never satisfied with stock so I try to see what works best for me. Keep in mind that what works for me and my age, style, abilities and riding locations doesn't represent everyone.
What I really appreciate is companies like Tracks USA that take the time to answer questions like I have and help me figure out what is best for me. My retirement money doesn't go as far so I try to make educated guesses now ;)

well, I have a brand new 2.8 3 inch pitch 162 for sale that's still in the wrapper if someones looking for one, spending that kind of money for testing is to rich for my liking lol

Did they have a conquer 260 there? Did you check it out? Our experience with the 280 is that it trenched too much. The 260 is supposed to be softer but I haven't heard of anyone inspecting one...

Just curious, why did you go with extensions instead of new 163" stock or ice age rails.

I didn't end up going with the extensions. The track was to tight, so now they know that it doesn't fit. I did end up going with the 155" replacement which is a 156" with the 3" pitch so I didn't have to change drivers. I really like the Ice Age rails & Ice Age Hill climb braces and have ran them for years. The rail extensions had they fit this application would have been a fast, way cheaper route and I could quickly swap back to a stock length track if needed.

Did they have a conquer 260 there? Did you check it out? Our experience with the 280 is that it trenched too much. The 260 is supposed to be softer but I haven't heard of anyone inspecting one...

Yes, the 260 is very similar with of course 2.6" lugs rather than the 2.8" and designed with a softer rubber. It will be interesting to see how they do. If you get the 260 let me know how it goes. The sled that was trenching with the 280 how was the suspension set up? Any changes compared to stock or was it transferring different? Stock clutching or gearing?

Yes, the 260 is very similar with of course 2.6" lugs rather than the 2.8" and designed with a softer rubber. It will be interesting to see how they do. If you get the 260 let me know how it goes. The sled that was trenching with the 280 how was the suspension set up? Any changes compared to stock or was it transferring different? Stock clutching or gearing?

Both a completely stock sled and a boosted sled with kmod. Still have the boosted sled and it is drastically better now that it has 1000 miles on it. But initially it was pretty bad.

My 280 3.5 pitch trenched so bad until it was broken in. Now that it's softened up it's a completely different track. Mine is also on a boosted sled, which I think helps the lugs fold over a bit better. My only complaint is that it's fast going downhill

My 280 3.5 pitch trenched so bad until it was broken in. Now that it's softened up it's a completely different track. Mine is also on a boosted sled, which I think helps the lugs fold over a bit better. My only complaint is that it's fast going downhill

I did hear this one takes longer to break in, but maybe lasts longer. You also had a 3.5 pitch compared to the 3" pitch I have. I know I went through a couple of the stock 2.6" tracks which I liked how it performed but didn't like the premature wear and lost lugs. Thanks for the feedback.

Premium Features

Back