• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

My 08 Dragon 800 will not start! HELP!!!

While I was out riding this weekend my sled would pulse in and out of power while I was WOT. Didnt matter if I was on the trail or in deep powder climbing a hill. It would go up past 8000 rpms and then surge down to around 6800 and back up. I checked the plugs and belt-everything looked good there. It would run great all through mid range, just not when I punched it. After a couple of hours the check engine light started flashing 5 times.

Called it a day and drove home. Checked the code and found that it was my exhaust temp sensor. Left it on the back of my truck for the night.

Next morning I got up and looked under the hood and the sensor had rattled out and was laying below my pipe. Threaded it back in. Started on the 3rd pull (It had dropped to probably -10 over the night) Let it warm up-pushed the reverse button-backed it off of the truck-pushed the reverse button again....dead....will not start....

Ive about pulled my arm off trying to start this thing!! Ive swapped plugs multiple times. Pulled it to clear fuel between plug swaps. Pulled it into the garage and let it sit over night. Gave it fresh plugs and still nothing...Yes my key is on and the kill switch is pulled. The plugs are wet when I pull them so Im getting fuel. Ive got spark on both plugs. Im at a complete loss, please help

The 08 700 I ride with sometimes does that, he has to turn the key off and give it a few pulls then switch the key back on and it starts right up. I'm assuming you've also tried holding it to the bar when you try to start it?

The 08 700 I ride with sometimes does that, he has to turn the key off and give it a few pulls then switch the key back on and it starts right up. I'm assuming you've also tried holding it to the bar when you try to start it?

I had tried holding it to the bar with no luck. However I tried your suggestion and turned the key off-gave it a dozen pulls-turned it back on no luck.

THEN I tried it with the key and kill switch off-a dozen pulls-WOT and got it to go on the 3rd pull!!! Thank you!

I let it warm up and took it for a short ride and it was still surging on the top end...any idea what may be causing this? I proped up the track and brought it to full throttle and could only get 7100 rpms. If i backed out for a second and went back to full it would not respond very quickly at all. After holding it full out for awhile I let it down and it dropped all the way to 1100 and sounded like it was running on only one cylinder. Gave it some throttle play and it would idol at 1800 and sound great. Thoughts?

Easiest to check is the compression, next is fuel pressure and then reeds. Have you pulled the exhaust valves and looked for scuffing on the pistons yet?

Just noticed your a neighbor if you need a compression tester or fuel pressure tester let me know, I'll let you borrow mine.

I have not dug into it yet but will start tomorrow-I'll let you know what I find. I believe I have access to both testers but if not I will take you up on your offer-thanks!

Well my sleds working great again! I think it was some bad gas causing the problem-I say this because I filled my truck up at the same time and had to add a can of heat to the tank when it didn't want to start right up a couple mornings ago and while trying to pass someone on the highway I didn't have near the response I normally do when I step on it...

So i cleaned the exhaust valves and threw a can of heat in the tank. Took it for a ride and didn't have any power loss like before. I think I'll carry around a can of heat from now on!

Thanks for your help!

Premium Features

Back