• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Mike Duffy Avalanche 1 training coming soon

S

snowrdr

Nov 26, 2007
Reno, NV
For CA/NV riders we have an absolutely amazing opportunity to learn from Mike Duffy at Avalanche 1 who does all of the Ski-Doo Avalanche training across the US and Canada. Mike has put the dates of 1-26 and 1-27 on his schedule to come out and train us on Avalanche awareness and preparedness and while we have been lacking snow for a few years, Mikes course will be an amazing learning experience for all riders in the CA/NV riding area and while our snow has been lackluster we, all could use a life saving reminder class of how to prevent and recover a fellow rider in case of a Avalanche in our area. We will be providing location of the meetings and registration information coming soon, but at this point please open your schedules and plan accordingly as this education could save you or your riding buddy's life. As a person who is specifically focused in the critical care portion of healthcare and former attendee to Mikes program, I cannot express with more passion that we get as many riders as possible to this amazing opportunity to CA/NV area as we seem to be off the radar for specific snowmobile/avalanche training. Thank you Mike for your willingness to educate us in the CA/NV area

Last edited:

bholmlate

Premium Member
Dec 3, 2009
Reno, Nevada
Where and when? I have been looking for some dates that are even close to this area and have not seen any. I figured it was because there are already courses at sierra college on avalanche awareness I would love to take one from him just because it centers around snowmobiling. Just sat through a lecture and i was the only snowmobile guy there. i could feel the back of my neck burning from the cross country skiers and snow hiker who loath anything motorized

ROCKNESTER

Premium Member
Dec 14, 2007
CHICO, CA
www.boondockersmovie.com
Any updated info on when/where this happen? I'd like to attend and bring the riding buddies also.

Thanks,
Jesse

Where and when? I have been looking for some dates that are even close to this area and have not seen any. I figured it was because there are already courses at sierra college on avalanche awareness I would love to take one from him just because it centers around snowmobiling. Just sat through a lecture and i was the only snowmobile guy there. i could feel the back of my neck burning from the cross country skiers and snow hiker who loath anything motorized

S

snowww1

Nov 26, 2007
I have contacted dealers in Sacramento and South Lake Tahoe about hosting the class at their dealership. Waiting to hear back. Shooting for the evenings of January 26th and 27th. Hoping to get a reply soon.

Mike Duffy
Avalanche1.com
Professional avalanche education for mountain riders.

Reactions: WILLIS

scootdog

Lifetime Membership
Apr 17, 2011
SF Bay Area Now, Tahoe soon
If can't make this Mike duffy course, I would recommend ASI in truckee who also does avalanche 1 training.

Classroom is out of backcountry store downtown truckee or sugarbowl.

Field portion of class is up on donner summit near sugarbowl.

It is not snowmobile specific but better than no training at all. When I did it years ago instructors were general Mountain men who ski, hike, and snowmobile. You could ask them snowmobile specific questions.

Weekend long course could save your life.
http://alpineskills.com/avalanche1.html

Reactions: bholmlate
S

snowww1

Nov 26, 2007
Here it is!
Class in South Lake Tahoe on January 27th Wednesday 6:00pm at Sierra Mountain Sports.

Please text or email me to sign up. duffyww1@aol.com

Bring your avalanche gear to class. I can supply if you don't have.

Hope to see you there. Also arranging class on 26th in Sacramento area.

picture.php

S

snowrdr

Nov 26, 2007
Reno, NV
Thanks for posting the flyer and we should have a Sac area class location nailed down soon! At this time if you want to attend the class on 1-26 in the Sacramento area please go ahead and email Mike and sign up.

Thanks

S

snowww1

Nov 26, 2007
Class description:

“Avalanche Rescue Skills” New classroom session with hands-on transceiver use, demonstrations, Powerpoint and video. This is the next step in classroom education. Emphasis is on avalanche transceivers and rescue techniques. Class will start with a quick review on avalanche accidents, how to prevent getting caught and reading avalanche forecasts. Will progress to more advanced avalanche rescue techniques. Students should bring their avalanche gear to class (transceiver, shovel, probe, pack). We will be learning transceiver and probing skills in class.

Mike Duffy
Avalanche1.com
Professional avalanche education for mountain riders.

Premium Features