• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Midwest Moutain Riders in Duluth

H

high time

Nov 28, 2007
Duluth, MN
We are here for you. Our mission is to help new riders to the sport of mountain riding. We have a good resource of volunteers will to rent beacons, show you how to use them, and what to watch out for. We have lists for places to go, where to stay and where to get assistance, what to bring and how to set up. Feel free to PM me and we'll be helpfull. We meet montly the first Mon. 7 pm at the Buffalo House just south of town on I-35.

Owen

Last edited:
H

high time

Nov 28, 2007
Duluth, MN
Yes, some of us get together all year.

The group has had as many as 80 members but, now is down to a dozen or so die hards. At our last meeting we vowed to stay arround to help new riders to the mountains what ever they might need. Yes, Oct 4 is our next meeting.
I dout that our meetings are intertaining enough to come up from the Cities, but if there's an interest in any type of class, we can facilitate it as a special event.

Owen

Reactions: Mark's RMK

Mark's RMK

Lifetime Membership
May 5, 2010
Sturgeon Lake, MN
Actually my middle son works at St. Germains across the highway from the Buffalo House, near the Armor gas station. He might be interested in attending once.

Too bad we can't start something in the Twin Cities.

We have been to Cooke City, Pinedale (WY) - (Blind Bull and Togwotee), West Yellowstone, Snowies, Sierra Madres, Grand Lake.

We go the last week of February for a week. My father (Richard Nelson from Barnum) is and has been our tour guide as he and my mom have gone out west for the last 20 years or so and have ridden with some of the clubs in Colorado, etc.

H

high time

Nov 28, 2007
Duluth, MN
I'm surprized you've been to Blind Bull.......

I've gone to the David Ranch on three trips , just west of Daniel, Up Horse Creek and over to Alpine. He and his son-in-law, Gary from Bucky's, showed us a lot.
We usually ride IP, West, Cooke, Revy. Many go to Tog, but I havn't.

Owen

Mark's RMK

Lifetime Membership
May 5, 2010
Sturgeon Lake, MN
I'm not familiar with IP?

I bought a consignment sled one year from Bucky's after my 700 RMK lost oil to one fo the carb on our warm up ride at Togwotee, day 1.

We usually stay at the Pinedale Best Western. We can then ride out of Cora (Line Shack/Togwotee Lodge, etc) and then the parking lot west of Daniel to Blind Bull, Grey River, Box Y, etc. Never went all the way north to Alpine. I think we are missing some play areas by not going further north and then east of just going further north from the warming hut at Blind Bull.

How is Revelstoke? I have it on my list of places to go at least once. Probably need more than a week to make the drive pay off.

H

high time

Nov 28, 2007
Duluth, MN
IP is Island Park just west of West Yelly

Mt Jefferson's the big hill there. Good snow.
The David ranch is just north of the Horse Creek parking area. I rode for a couple trips in the areas between the foothills and Blind Bull and neve saw the trail. There's a lot of cool stuff in those gullys and peaks.
I was the odd man out there 'cause I rode Cat and they were solid Poo guys.

Owen

Mark's RMK

Lifetime Membership
May 5, 2010
Sturgeon Lake, MN
Is Mt. Jefferson on the trail past Eino's toward Big Sky/Bozeman?

We did not go any further north than Eino's that day. It's that place where you can cook your own steak. We just stopped for a break, didn't eat there.

Mark's RMK

Lifetime Membership
May 5, 2010
Sturgeon Lake, MN
When we are at Big Springs and we continue West and are heading north along the highway, would we have turned west somewhere instead of east where we went to the top of the mountain? and then headed back to West Yellowstone where we were staying?

Sorry to be so persistent but we have always heard good things about IP but didn't really find anything besides the trail riding.

H

high time

Nov 28, 2007
Duluth, MN
Yeah, you have to go West accross the highway from

Big Springs. Up Yale or Blue creek. There's about four ways in plus you can get in from the north too. There's getting to be too many riders there now. Each year someone gets caught in an avy. You can have fun there without highmarking. Go a bit farther west to Taylor creek and up to the sheep areas. that's a big place to ride. You'll need gas for that.

Owen

Last edited:
Premium Features