• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Mat-Su Valley, Anchorage area outdoor activity

We are going to meet at Blondz's place on Wed, 6/10 at 6PM and then go for a hike to Baldy at ER. For those who would like to stay in shape, meet others, hike, mountain bike or whatever the event brings, let's meet....
Anyone for a day hike? Our goal is Pioneer Peak this summer.... I have been wanting to hike Pion. Peak for years, so let's do it!

B
Feb 12, 2006
Eagle River
Side note ~ I am a fair weather hiker lol especially for places like Baldy. It can get really slick and the beginning is kinda steep, not really a mountain bike kind of trail.

Maybe we can mix it up a bit and try a different site each time "a peak a week" kind of event??

AkSledHed

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 12, 2009
Eagle River, Ak
Wife and I try and hike Baldy every summer and I really need to do it this year to get in shape for sheep hunting. There's another hike just up Eagle River road past Walmart that's a pretty intense hike for about the first 1/4 mile or so, basically almost straight up and that will get you in shape in a hurry.
Also like to hike Symphony Lake a couple times a year or climb the ridge on the west side of South Eagle River and into Ship Creek. I think we'd be up for hiking on a weekly basis, not sure about hiking up Pioneer though. Weekends are tough for us as we like to fish and ride wheelers during the summer but we'd be up for a weekend trip too, as long as our dogs can tag along.
I've got that book, 50 hikes in Chugach State Park that has some great hikes in it and i've done a few of them, we could pick one out a week and see how that works.

Last edited:
I like the Peak a Week name, LOL! :D
It would be great to do various hikes for sure. I live at the bottom of Lazy Mtn in Palmer and know this area well but never really hiked in ER area. Maybe we can use this tread for "short notice" hikes as well, depending on a mood and weather.
I still log onto this website everyday, so please post your plans and lets' do it! :beer;:)

AkSledHed

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 12, 2009
Eagle River, Ak
What time are you all planning on hiking Baldy next week? We'll probably just drive up Skyline Dr and meet you all there.

B
Feb 12, 2006
Eagle River
Soooooo... weather is GREAT for a hike tonight!! Sorry for the delay in answering on the time. For those who want to meet at my place ~ we'll be there at 6pm and plan on getting up to the parking lot by 6:30.

:)

M
Jan 1, 2008
I will be flying my paraglider at Baldy at around 4:30-5 today. We launch from the towers. Yellow and white Prodesign Titan ll. Hoping for a cross country flight heading north and the weather and winds are looking good for it.

Mark

Is this you? That's funny! I was the one asking if you take hitchhikers.:D
Anyway, what an awesome hike! I am SO sore, made it home at 11:30. TJ, thanks for the ride. According to the book, we hiked 7 miles and gained 2700 ft in elevation. (That's IT?:confused: feels like 8000 LOL)

DSC01319_1_1.jpg

DSC01348_r1_2_1.jpg

DSC01363_3_1.jpg

AkSledHed

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 12, 2009
Eagle River, Ak
We watch you guys on the paragliders everytime you fly, we live at the bottom of the hill about a 1/4 mile west of Upper Fire lake.

Last edited:
M
Jan 1, 2008
Yes that was me flying. Ended up flying up to Mirror Lake middle school and landed just before 9 PM, 1 hour and 38 minutes. Highest altitude gained was 4113. Strongest thermal was 800 feet per minute up. I couldn't find a strong enough thermal to take me up over Bear mountain. I was aiming for the Knik river.

Dash, there are a number of pilots with tandem wings who would be willing to give a ride. They also do tandem rides in Girdwood at Alyeska.

Mark

B
Feb 12, 2006
Eagle River
Thanks for a great hike last night!!! Really looking forward to next week ~ hope we have the same kind of weather!! oh... and for the record, I'm not sore at all ~ hehehe... I feel like a million bucks!

Our crew for the first Peak a Week 4M Hike ~ had Nikolai and Jess show up later (and pass us as they ran it... you two are animals!!)

P6100247.jpg

Of course you know I couldn't pass up the snow ~ especially after almost getting pelted in the face by a snowball!

P6100261.jpg

X
Jan 24, 2009
Eagle River
I popped a couple...ok a few advil last night so I'm feeling pretty good :D thanks guys It was a beautiful hike! Dasha do you have those pics on photobucket, or somewhere? I'd luv to snag a few from you if ya don't mind!

Last edited:
So where are we going next week?:)

Here are some other ideas and places I have been wanting to do/visit for few years now:
-Rent a small packraft, hike from Girdwood eastward to 20 mile river and float back to the Seward Hwy (we already have a small group for 7/11)
-Take a train from Portage to Seward (combined with some other activity)
-Hike Lost Lake trail and Goldmint trail at Hatcher Pass and other trails
-Mountain bike Johnson Pass and others
-Float Matanuska River, Tangle River and Chulitna River (and others, of course)
Anybody interested?
Oh, BTW, I am SOOOO glad I joined this forum! I was hoping to find few riding buddies and it turned out I found SO MANY AMAZING PEOPLE!!!!!!!!! :D
So thank you everybody for the great rides, friendship, dinners, dances, non-motorized activities, help alongside the trails and much more!!!!

M
Nov 26, 2007
Anchorage Alaska
There are tons of things to do in AK Dash that you will love!

Mountain bike Lost Lake up the Firhouse Trail.
Mountain bike or hike Resurrection (Later in the summer once the snow melts)
Hike up Bird Ridge
Kayaking out of Whittier
River Rafting the various courses around the South Side
Fishing of course
Hunting
Hike CrowPass
Hike up Hatchers Pass Palmer side, amazing views up there
Tons more to list but you get the picture :D

Premium Features