• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

M8 Turbo Oil Tank Vent Idea. Thoughts?

D

dirtsnow

Sep 1, 2009
Grand Junction, CO
I have an 09 M8T with a non vented oil tank. I've been thinking of ideas to vent it for obvious reasons and suddenly i remembered plumbing my boiler in my house and the automatic air vent i used to get air out of the system. Can anyone come up with any idea as to why one of these wouldn't work great? They have a float inside so that when turned upside down or fluid hits them, it closes the valve. I think it would work perfectly! Give me your thoughts.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HONEYWELL-S...661?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3375003fa5

Vertical-Extreme

Lifetime Membership
Sep 15, 2008
Airdrie, Alberta
www.airdriejudo.ca
What are the obvious reasons to vent the tank ? I designed and fabed a tank that will not spill on a roll over that is vented but I'm not totally sure that with the pressure that builds in the tank That a vent is needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

D

dirtsnow

Sep 1, 2009
Grand Junction, CO
Going up in elevation and increasing the temperature will cause the pressure in the tank to increase which then causes oil to blow out of the seals. If you are able to equalize the pressure, you can prevent an oily mess in/around the tank and keep from losing oil. The system would stay much more contained.

I was just looking for easy ideas on how to vent it because this automatic air vent is the only good idea i can come up with. I'll have to weld to the tank, but i don't see another good option.

B

Boyko

Nov 27, 2007
Alberta
Most all turbos are designed to blow some boost out the oil return this is to help extract the oil out of them. If you are making 10 # of boost you will have 10psi in a unvented oil tank.

This cap is a 100mb so it releases pressure at 1.4psi

http://www.jwwinco.com/products/section12/en552.1/index.html
en552_1p.gif

B

Boyko

Nov 27, 2007
Alberta
What are the obvious reasons to vent the tank ? I designed and fabed a tank that will not spill on a roll over that is vented but I'm not totally sure that with the pressure that builds in the tank That a vent is needed.

Up in till this year all the tanks I have built for 2-smokers have been unvented. They have been the type were the turbo is perched directly over top of the tank. Always seem to leek a little around the o-ring seal from the tank to the perch. This style of tank you can run unvented with a ball bearing turbo but I would not do it if you are running a micro pump

Last edited:

Vertical-Extreme

Lifetime Membership
Sep 15, 2008
Airdrie, Alberta
www.airdriejudo.ca
I'm using one on mine. I will snap a pic and post it when I get home tomorrow. I used that vent and put a vent hose to a catch can to stop some of the mess from the blow through.

Premium Features