• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

M8 Limp Mode UPDATED INFO HELP

RobertTrivanovic

Lifetime Membership
Nov 8, 2012
Abbotsford BC
So the sled was going into limp mode for awhile. Right when I started the sled up it worked good for 15 seconds and then went into limp mode. Here is a video showing how it acted the other day. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D3Nes1IpdLE

UPDATE:: I just lifted the sled onto a stand and it seemed to run perfect. No check engine codes or any other issue. This is also 500ft lower then where I tested the sled the other day. This leads me to believe it us only under load where it goes into limp mode.

Would the servo act up like this under load but be fine when its not under load?

2007 M8

m8magicandmystery

Lifetime Membership
Jan 20, 2008
Yukon
but even with track on the ground under load it runs good if sitting after 15 minutes right..??

im thinking you get a halogen lamp and get it close to your recoil to try and heat up that stator and see if see is a no go from the get go...you could have a stator issue...did you test your stator..??

m8magicandmystery

Lifetime Membership
Jan 20, 2008
Yukon
remember..check your barometric tube for kinks..is your gas tank venting properly as well,try it with the cap loose..

RobertTrivanovic

Lifetime Membership
Nov 8, 2012
Abbotsford BC
but even with track on the ground under load it runs good if sitting after 15 minutes right..??

im thinking you get a halogen lamp and get it close to your recoil to try and heat up that stator and see if see is a no go from the get go...you could have a stator issue...did you test your stator..??

Yeah it always in any conditions runs good for 15 seconds. but with the track in the air seems to always work good. Thanks for the link, no I havnt tested the stator ill do that along with the smart valves tomorrow night.

RobertTrivanovic

Lifetime Membership
Nov 8, 2012
Abbotsford BC

Not 15 minutes, 15 seconds, as soon as i kill the sled i start it and for 15 seconds its good.

fasta76

Lifetime Membership
Aug 28, 2008
Lumby,BC
Have you gotten your Gauge to work yet? I would get this working as it should give you codes!! Its easy to throw $$ at it but why waste it unless you know what the problem is.. I would check all the wiring for shorts!! Under the tank is huge for this problem and the tail light.. Also check all your connectors for water and put electrical grease in them. To check the servo motor lift the rear of the sled off the ground and rev it up past 6000 rpm. Watch the servo motor to see if it moves? When mine went out it would run fine but would not want to rev up.

M8CAT

Lifetime Membership
May 3, 2008
I had an 07 M8 did same thing, fuse was bad. Found acouple wires going to gauge had wore through. Repaired wires new fuse ran great again.

RobertTrivanovic

Lifetime Membership
Nov 8, 2012
Abbotsford BC
Thanks for all the input guys! Ill be trying the sled tonight to see if it was the short seeing as the guage works now. I really hope it was that simply... And no codes came up so maybe that was my only issue!

m8magicandmystery

Lifetime Membership
Jan 20, 2008
Yukon
Thanks for all the input guys! Ill be trying the sled tonight to see if it was the short seeing as the guage works now. I really hope it was that simply... And no codes came up so maybe that was my only issue!

yea...your codes would have cleared restarting..and if ya fixed the wiring shorting then your guage would have started clear and maybe you are fixed...i had a tailight short throw me into limp once..

also check your coil high tension leads to your plugs..they have a habit of rubbing together close to the coils...put some split loom over them

m8magicandmystery

Lifetime Membership
Jan 20, 2008
Yukon
oh..one other easy check...check and make sure your det sensor is tight on your head..and as well rattling exhaust springs etc.. if loosened it would sense det wrong and throw ya into limp mode..

Last edited:

RobertTrivanovic

Lifetime Membership
Nov 8, 2012
Abbotsford BC
dang..if it was stator you would think it would need to cool more etc...it sure seems like a fuel supply issue

Yeah im definetly thinking something like that. I got home late and dont want my nabours to hate me so I didnt get to test the sled today. But tomorrow I have lots of time and will try it for sure. And ill do the other checks you mentioned tonight.

RobertTrivanovic

Lifetime Membership
Nov 8, 2012
Abbotsford BC
Had the same thing on my m1000 was a loose ground and fried the ecu acted like a surge just like your video

I tried the sled above my house today for just 10 minutes and it seemed to work fine now! How did you know your ECU was fried after a catching the wire did it just continue to do the same thing?

S
Dec 6, 2007
I repaired the loose ground and still the same, no codes acted like it was in limp mode , ran on a stand and it seemed fine until i revved it for a bit and watched the fire shooting out of the exhaust, also my mag side was dropping out when this was happening I could watch on my egt then would come back, borrowed an ecu to try and it was perfect not saying this is what is going on with yours but in the video sure looks the same it seemed to rev good until 3/4 throttle after that surges

RobertTrivanovic

Lifetime Membership
Nov 8, 2012
Abbotsford BC
I repaired the loose ground and still the same, no codes acted like it was in limp mode , ran on a stand and it seemed fine until i revved it for a bit and watched the fire shooting out of the exhaust, also my mag side was dropping out when this was happening I could watch on my egt then would come back, borrowed an ecu to try and it was perfect not saying this is what is going on with yours but in the video sure looks the same it seemed to rev good until 3/4 throttle after that surges

I went to go for a ride today and went about 2 minutes up the trail and it was running perfect... Then coolant exploded out of one of the hoses on the back so my day was over. But it ran perfect for the time being which didnt happen before.. I hope what your saying isnt my case but the real test will be sunday since I work tomorrow and couldnt ride today...

fasta76

Lifetime Membership
Aug 28, 2008
Lumby,BC
Make sure to also check the hose up near the bulkhead its under a little aluminum cover. The clamps can come loose. Just replace with a parts store hose clamp. you might need to remove the suspension to get at it!!!

Premium Features