• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

M8 cutler turbo oil tank vent

I have a 2010 m8 with a cutler turbo on it I purchased nov 2012. The oil tank vent line goes up by the fuel tank and then loops bac down. When I roll the sled over after getting stuck a bit ov oil leaks out ov vent everytime and goes all over. Anyone have a fix for this.

Yup it's a pain. Run the hose in a loop, then I have mine facing down into a little bottle. Then fill the bottle half with some sorta absorbing cloth and change it out every once in while. Kinda redneck but works great.

Yup it's a pain. Run the hose in a loop, then I have mine facing down into a little bottle. Then fill the bottle half with some sorta absorbing cloth and change it out every once in while. Kinda redneck but works great.

Ok. I emailed cutler to see what they have to say. I also thought about getting the old boondocker catch bottle from the older system if I can find one.

Anyone else with a fix for this?

I've been running an OVS oil tank for three seasons and they don't use a vent, nada, nothing, zip. It was hard to get my head wrapped around that concept, but I haven't had any problem. I don't even think about it any more.

If that doesn't intrigue you, you can run a stiff inline check valve(flowing out) in the vent line. Generally it takes about 1 psi to actuate it, so the oil in an up side down sled won't unseat it, and it won't suck in moisture either when right side up.

no vent on our kits either. they are not needed if the tank is designed right.

I bet you could get away with out it on the cutler design also.

I've been running an OVS oil tank for three seasons and they don't use a vent, nada, nothing, zip. It was hard to get my head wrapped around that concept, but I haven't had any problem. I don't even think about it any more.

If that doesn't intrigue you, you can run a stiff inline check valve(flowing out) in the vent line. Generally it takes about 1 psi to actuate it, so the oil in an up side down sled won't unseat it, and it won't suck in moisture either when right side up.

Ok. Thanks. And 1-2psi tank pressure wudent be enought to blow out a deal in the turbo? I wudent think. Where wud I find a check valve like that? I'm a mechanic by trade but have nvr needed to use a check valve before that small.

Vented Cap

I usually roll down the mountain with style so I use this little fella...

http://www.jwwinco.com/products/section12/en552.1/index.html
100mb and pops open at 1.4psi

Boyko helped me find that so props to him.

Does it need vented or not? Apparently it must not matter that much if some builders choose not to.
I've seen unvented setups start to build pressure in the oil tank, and if its not vented it pushes the oil into the compressor and down the charge tube.

Unrelated but deals with "venting" we lost a proclimb in our group last season because the owner filled his oil tank completely full :face-icon-small-dis the cap wouldn't vent properly and caused it to pressure lock = seize. Hence the updated oil cap from cat.

Premium Features

Back