• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Lost lake for newbie

3 ways up. Closest to you is Snug harbor road in Cooper Landing. Also the hardest way to find your way around if you are a newby.
2nd is Primrose trail. head towars Seward...follow the highway through Moose Pass, along the Seward end of Kenai Lake, Right at the end of the lake you cross the Snow river. The first right is the road into Primross campground. This is the longest trail up, but dumps you out right at the lake and is pretty fool proof to find your way up and back. 3rd is the firemans trail all the way into Seward. This is my favorite, but can be tricky getting up depending on conditions. Be safe up there. There are many huge drop offs up there. NEVER fly over anything without looking at the backside first!

LL trails

I have been all three ways also. It really helps to know some one in Seward that can give you up to the min. trail conditions. My friend moved! The best way for the Fire house or Primrose is go first thing in the morning, even if it's still dark.....By the time the sun comes up one or two large groups can turn the trail into a glass hill....we have had 6 guys pulling one sled by rope , sleds upside down, a broken foot, etc. and thats all in one day! The key is to never spin the track. That is imposible of course, but you try to pick up as much speed as you can on snow and then coast over the ice (uphill)!!!. No matter how bad it was going up.....comeing back down is way easyer. IS LOST LAKE OPEN????

If you take Primrose and have a GPS I would suggest marking a waypoint where the trail breaks out at the top. It can be kinda tough for a newb to find the trail head if there are many tracks or if the weather turns bad.

If you take Primrose and have a GPS I would suggest marking a waypoint where the trail breaks out at the top. It can be kinda tough for a newb to find the trail head if there are many tracks or if the weather turns bad.

Did you have any bad experience there? My friend and I went there last year for the first time, on Friday, never saw anybody, made it to the lake, had fun, waited for the sunset over Seward.... yeah, we thought it should be easy to find the trail back.... Getting to the proximate area was easy but then it took a while to find the correct trail (and some of them dropped into narrow gullies)....

since i won't be going back for the rest of the week, yes lost lake is open. road it yesterday. pretty good. no one else around. went up the firehouse trail. trail was decent but only a few trailers in the parking lot. i imagine the trail will be a mess my this weekend. although with the new storm coming in maybe not...

hell of a start to the season. deeper than deep at turny on sunday and then "only" a footish of completely untracked snow at lost lake. let it snow baby, let it snow!

rat, you back in town? give me a call. want to catch up.

pv

Depending on which trail you choose... keep track of what side of bear creek your on. It forms the ravine between the firemans trail and primrose... In poor light or uncontrollable boondockin, you can find yourself on the wrong side.

+1 this happened to me the 1st time I ever rode with someone at LL and went up Primrose. I had GPS'd it and during the ride weather moved in and I thought I was right on top of it by sense of direction when leaving, was closer to 1/2 mile away once I broke the GPS out.

Fireman's trail gets my vote, bring a rope just in case you have to pull the sled up some of the tight goosed out sections, or install some studs hahah....down low in the 1st 1/2 mile is where its ****ty

If you value your life do not risk going to Lost Lake! It is extremely dangerous! Huge crevices, lots of avalaches, open creeks, I have even had big ugly snow monster chase me around and try to eat me!

Please don't risk your life;)

DSC01098.jpg

If you value your life do not risk going to Lost Lake! It is extremely dangerous! Huge crevices, lots of avalaches, open creeks, I have even had big ugly snow monster chase me around and try to eat me!

Please don't risk your life;)

DSC01098.jpg

That was taking yesterday? Holp crap I'm jealous!!!

Premium Features

Back