• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Looking for a day ride

W
Nov 1, 2014
Ok just got back from my place in Island Park. Riding for three weeks was awesome.

So I decided to leave there yesterday and bring four sleds with me back home. I live in the South Bay area. Now I never really been out in riding in California and looking for a place to go.

So my question what do you experts recommend?

108 Sno park
Bear Valley
shaver lake, do they have snow?

Thanks if someone is willing to offer some suggestions I can do the same for someone seeking to snowmobile Idaho, Montana, Wyoming.

Thanks again

Murph

Polaris Moderator/ Polaris Ambassador/ Klim Amb.
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Tahoe Truckee area is where I live/ ride. I mainly ride Little Truckee Summit because we can ride there from our place.

Castle Peak/ Donner Lake Interchange
Prosser staging area
Little Truckee Summit
Gold Lake
Cisco Grove
Blue Lakes
Iron Mountain/ Tragedy Springs
Mt Rose (really, really small)

No experience with Sonora or Bear Valley

We need more snowmobilers here. Our riding is awesome but our numbers are small when we have to fight the non motorized contingent at USFS meetings.

Reactions: Hbmtr

Jblaze74

Lifetime Membership
Nov 20, 2011
Reno/North Tahoe
Murph has a pretty through list there, Castle Peak and Little Truckee have some great riding.
I know 108 has tons of terrain, always had fun the handful of times I've been there. But I go east entrance, near Mammoth Lakes.

Zrider

Lifetime Membership
May 7, 2003
Sparks, NV
Thanks guys

Where is castle peak? What sno park is this?

If you happen to go to Castle Peak(top of Donner Summit on I-80), just make sure you don't park to the right of the off-ramp at the bottom on the North side of 80. The local Sheriff's Dept. will give you a ticket. You need to park on the frontage road on the South side of I-80(the Boreal Ski Resort side) up past the motel. There is a Snow Park sign up near the end of the road. Unload your sled, then go park your rig and hoof it back.

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
Been to Bear VAlley. Official Snow PARK is at end of road. Can camp there with snopark sticker.

Only a few things at Bear Valley

ONE expensive gas station with small store, one snowmobile shop , and ski resort that closes at night time. Rest is private condos.

The riding and snow are very very good.

http://www.bvsnowmobile.com/

IMHO I would team up with the guys at LTS off the 80 ... if you are alone.

Track Man

Premium Member
Dec 24, 2007
Coppins Meadow
I live in right at little Truckee summit . I live 9 miles back in from the parking lot . If you get up this way I'll be happy to show you around . If you're looking to go to Castle Peak I would suggest parking at Donner Lake interchange . 108 Sonora pass is an awesome place to ride . We're heading down that way in a couple weeks .

W
Nov 1, 2014
I live in the South Bay too.Definetly 108,closest and best riding!!!! What are you riding?

I have two 2015 summits 154 & 163
Also I have a 2016 backcountry X
2013 yamaha venture gt the cruiser for mama

And like I said if anyone wants to make the trek out to Idaho I have a place there that you can snowmobile from and hit about 800 miles or trails plus the backcountry.

Mike 408-593-6668

Reactions: donbrown and sledin
C
Sep 25, 2011
If anyone is down for a day trip to 108 one day just let me know. I've only ridden bear valley for the last 17 years and would love to try something new. I'm in Livermore too.

W
Nov 1, 2014
Thanks guys!

Thinking about going to 108 this Saturday.

I did forget to bring my avy bags with me from Idaho. I mist likly will stick to the Trails and learn the area.

Mike

Premium Features