• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Long tracking the Assault

So I like many was not real happy with the tank track on the Assault. Does anyone have some pictures of there Assaults that they have gone 155" or 163" with the tracks? I did a totally non scientific comparision of my assault sitting next to a 155 dragon and the tunnel length looked roughly equal. Was a tunnel extension required to keep the flap out of harms way? Lastly what type of long tracking did you do (rail extensions, stock skid replacement or change out to aftermarket skid)? I am also looking at possibly a 153 powerclaw. Anyone gone that way?

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
For your sled.. and to keep the purpose of the sled... maneuverabilty and handling tough terrain, drops, and other freestyle stuff...

IMO... the best track for you would be the 150" Camoplast challenger extreme 2.5" , a minor drop and roll and some custom straight rails from Ice Age so that you are not screwing around with some hokey extensions. To me... this is the perfect "mid length" track and the paddle lay out and durometer (rubber hardness) are a great combo.

The other thing that will make the sled perform better in the deeper stuff is to have the Rear skid shocks re valved by someone that knows the chassis well and the shocks. I recommend Tri City Performance... Max really has these Walker Coil Spring shocks set up well... and a close relationship with the Walker Evans factory.

The flatlanders really like the the Assault track and a Track/rail "package" will still have some good resale value to help take the sting out of the new parts purchase.

You should NOT have to a tunnel extension.

I have a sincere question for the assault owners that longer-tracked....
Why did you buy the Assault?

Last edited:
P

pura vida

Nov 26, 2007
could also just get a 144 extreme and keep the your skid the way it is. you will be amazed at the difference by just switching the track. although the d&r is fairly critical if not technically necessary. but if you need longer go with what MH says.

pv

S

sledneck_03

Jan 3, 2009
Saskatoon, SK
So I like many was not real happy with the tank track on the Assault. Does anyone have some pictures of there Assaults that they have gone 155" or 163" with the tracks? I did a totally non scientific comparision of my assault sitting next to a 155 dragon and the tunnel length looked roughly equal. Was a tunnel extension required to keep the flap out of harms way? Lastly what type of long tracking did you do (rail extensions, stock skid replacement or change out to aftermarket skid)? I am also looking at possibly a 153 powerclaw. Anyone gone that way?

polaris i thought had a 146 5.1 series track? so you could have the same lugs as the 155/63 with the 146 length

Guy on the swapmeet had a assault with a vanamburg tunnel extension and wps rail extensions and the 155 track.

I would do the van amburg tunnel ext, and tracks usa have 155-163 rail extensions that would work, and do a 153 powerclaw.

Ive ran the slp rail and tunnel ext on a edge for years now and ive had no issues.

Last edited:
I snowchecked a 155 Dragon. There was a mix up either by the dealer or I am stupid. Code was put in to order a Dragon and an Assault showed up. They told me when it came in and I went down and looked it over and took it. I just figured what the hell. Sled was in for my Revelstoke trip and the Dragon would not have been if I was to wait for the next shipment. No complaints on the sled except the track. What am I going to add in overall length of the sled by going 155". 4" probably. Still liking the power claw option. Anyone done that?

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
You will add 4 - 5" for the 153/155 in your sled.

You are also needing to re think the rear suspension spring rates and valving. This will also affect the deep snow performance greatly. The assault skids are NOT simply "short versions of a dragon skid with different shocks"

I

IDAHO HOT SHOT

Jan 21, 2009
South of Bellevue...way south
I bought the 800 shift last year and pulled off all of the Holz from my 08 700and threw it under the shift with some 155 rails and VanEmberg drop brackets. The Camo X 155 track fits nicely. It looks similar to the 09-10 Cat tunnel, none to long by any means, but I jump and land hard and I have never hooked the flap. I bought a Powerclaw to try this year, so we will see, Im loking forward to the lighter track.

T

TGitt

Feb 16, 2009
Logan, Utah
I snowchecked a 155 Dragon. There was a mix up either by the dealer or I am stupid. Code was put in to order a Dragon and an Assault showed up. They told me when it came in and I went down and looked it over and took it. I just figured what the hell. Sled was in for my Revelstoke trip and the Dragon would not have been if I was to wait for the next shipment. No complaints on the sled except the track. What am I going to add in overall length of the sled by going 155". 4" probably. Still liking the power claw option. Anyone done that?
Oh okay that makes more sense now.

J
Dec 1, 2007
Wisconsin
Assault we airs revalve

Last spring someone (I think it was mountainhorse) sent some stock assault we air shocks to somewhere in Wisconsin for revalving. If someone remembers let me know whats the name of the business and what town. THANKS and sorry for hijacking the post.

R
Jan 3, 2008
walker re valve

i think your looking for bee line ? i think he's in lino lakes minn he works alot with poo race teams he revalved mine last year, if you can't find him i'll repost tomorrow night ive got his card in my shop / steve

Premium Features