• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Long time Arctic guy buys '05 800 Summit X

Alright finally got a Doo over another Arctic Cat. Picked up this '05 800 Summit X w/ 151x16 track. Only has 501 miles as previous owner has been haveing leg and foot problems from a vehicle accident. Anyhow wondering the good bad and ugly of it. I'm 270 lbs. ready to ride and ride in the mountains almost always. Love Alaska. Any info would be appreciated. Wondering about gearing? Jetting? (been riding fuel inj. for awhile) anything?
Thanks

It has DPM so you shouldn't ever have to deal with jetting unless you mod.
I would take out the sway bar if it hasn't been done already.
If you ride deep snow alot I would look into upgrading the track since that 2" is a little to be desired.
Give Big John a call about some motor work if you want a little more out of her. Just by going to a 2-ring piston will make quite a bit of difference on a long climb. Stock pistons and rings WILL need to be replaced in probably another 500 miles since they're junk.
That sled is geared a bit high so if you keep the track I would go to 19/47, if you change the track I would go to a 2.86 pitch camo extreme or powdermax then keep your stock gearing.

summit mant.

You should clean the carbs every year. check the boots for cracks, check reeds for cracks or chips on the ends, make sure all the DPM hoses are in good condition and all of them are hooked up(air box). Grease the speedo drive on the drive sproket shaft muti-times a year, heck grease whole sled muti-times a year. You only need a can, the stock expantion pipe and y-pipe are good. RK TEK or Big John have good replacement pistons, if you hillclimb alot it would be good idea. Ride it like you stole it. Mine handles better the harder I ride. Look out for the reverse button, my leg will engage it when I lean forword to much, landing wrong, or jumping ( its bad when you hear the reverse beeper while your still in the air).

I have the same sled. 05 151 800. Been a good one. Ditto on needs rings. Replace carb boots and rings at the same time.

Stock primary spring is to soft for your weight. 160/320 will work better for you. 19/45 or 19/47 gears will work with stock chain and your 10 tooth drivers. With 19/45 you will only need to change the top gear from 21 to 19. Pretty cheap change. I have run the 19/45 sence new with no problems.

Dropped my main jet one size.

Boss seat (high rise) was my best mod. by far.

Congrats on the new ride. Have a blast.

Really wanting to get a boss high rise seat. Do, Did you notice any differnece of the seat being in the way swinging leg over for side hilliing etc? Does the Boss seat have more storage then the sunglass puch the '05 comes with. The '06 plastic clam shell has alot more room. Will def. need to ride with backpack. Any pics of the Highrise on this?

Thanks for all above posts. Keep them coming.

Will be gearing down, done this to most every sled I've had. Boots and rings, pistons will get done before nest year also then.

Big Johns? web site?

Really wanting to get a boss high rise seat. Do, Did you notice any differnece of the seat being in the way swinging leg over for side hilliing etc? Does the Boss seat have more storage then the sunglass puch the '05 comes with. The '06 plastic clam shell has alot more room. Will def. need to ride with backpack. Any pics of the Highrise on this?

Thanks for all above posts. Keep them coming.

Will be gearing down, done this to most every sled I've had. Boots and rings, pistons will get done before nest year also then.

Big Johns? web site?

search big john and it will bring you to his profile and he has a link there some where

Boss Seat storage. Well, I keep 1/2 roll of T.P. in the storage. I went cheap and didn't get the extra storage of the shovel and probe. My bad.

Way nicer to ride with the high rise over stock.

With only 501 miles on it you will not need rings yet. I have 3500 miles on my 04 and the rings are lilke new. Unless you have super light powder in Alaska, the stock 151 x 16 x 2 track will do just fine. If you port the stock track it will help keep snow from building up inside the rear suspension. I run two 2" holes down the middle of the track which gets the job done.

If a taller light weight seat that has a ton of storage is important consider an AXESS seat. The top of the seat is narrow and does not get in the way of swinging you leg over. I have had Boss seats in the past and the AXESS is better in every way except it is not as stylish. But I carry an extra belt, a Snobungie, first aid kit, extra gloves and goggles and trail bars under the seat top. www.rmproducts.info

One of the best mods I did was to convert my running boards to SnoEliminators which not only keep the boards snow free but stiffen up the running boards.

SLP makes a good can that is not louder than stock. If you ceramic coat the pipe you can save about 12# of weight and have a better running sled. The AXCESS seat will save another 6#, the sway bar another 4#, boggie wheels another 3-4#, clutch guard and engine foam another 3-4# for about a 30# weight reduction.

Trash the skis. I currently ride on Simmons but am seriously considering Sly Dogs for next year.

Dynamo^Joe has a clutch kit that, once dial in, will really make that sled perform. Check out www.dootalk.com Lots of good DOO info on that site.

So far I see no reason for me to go to a newer sled as mine has no trouble keeping up with 07s and a few stock XPs.

Have fun with the project, the REV is a totally different ride than the CATS but after a few days on the sled you'll never look back.:D

BCB

With only 501 miles on it you will not need rings yet. I have 3500 miles on my 04 and the rings are lilke new. Unless you have super light powder in Alaska, the stock 151 x 16 x 2 track will do just fine. If you port the stock track it will help keep snow from building up inside the rear suspension. I run two 2" holes down the middle of the track which gets the job done.

BJ- wanna bet...YOU need new pistons before next season..the moly rings fail easily in 200 miles (done it)

If a taller light weight seat that has a ton of storage is important consider an AXESS seat. The top of the seat is narrow and does not get in the way of swinging you leg over. I have had Boss seats in the past and the AXESS is better in every way except it is not as stylish. But I carry an extra belt, a Snobungie, first aid kit, extra gloves and goggles and trail bars under the seat top. www.rmproducts.info

BJ- any seat is better than stock, go taller with storage you will be fine unless your shorter fella...

One of the best mods I did was to convert my running boards to SnoEliminators which not only keep the boards snow free but stiffen up the running boards.

BJ- 2005's have new/better boards than the 2004

SLP makes a good can that is not louder than stock. If you ceramic coat the pipe you can save about 12# of weight and have a better running sled. The AXCESS seat will save another 6#, the sway bar another 4#, boggie wheels another 3-4#, clutch guard and engine foam another 3-4# for about a 30# weight reduction.

Trash the skis. I currently ride on Simmons but am seriously considering Sly Dogs for next year.

BJ- stock are bad...the newer pilot 6.9's work well, find a new take off set??

Dynamo^Joe has a clutch kit that, once dial in, will really make that sled perform. Check out www.dootalk.com Lots of good DOO info on that site.

So far I see no reason for me to go to a newer sled as mine has no trouble keeping up with 07s and a few stock XPs.

Have fun with the project, the REV is a totally different ride than the CATS but after a few days on the sled you'll never look back.:D

BCB

I'm 275 lbs...so I could help in the clutching, gearing,suspension set up...BJ

Whatever you do stay away from BOSS. I will never buy one of their products again.
Seat ripped in less then a year and they wouldn't cover it, took 7 months to get it back and over $100 to get it fixed and shipped back. Couple weeks later the zipper on the back broke....no way I'm sending it back to them to get it fixed.

Premium Features

Back