• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Lets talk studded winter tires ... again

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado
Cooper S/T Maxx.

Cooper is a premium tire... up there, IMO, with Michelin.

Excellent tire, Excellent Quality...Tough looking on the truck.

I think Dogmeat already said he wouldn't use a MT tire for snow conditions. But then again, isn't the Duratrac a MT tire? I need tires right now and I'm still stuck on what to get. I don't want studs because I'm going to run it year round. Here's my list (not to derail from Dogmeat's quest):

- Toyo AT2
- Duratrac
- Copper S/T Maxx
- Cooper Discoverer AT/3

I have to have load E/10ply.

Blk88GT

Westbound and down
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Winnipeg, Manitoba
I've got 4 years and 55k miles on my Duratracs. They're down to 4/32nds and I'm replacing them before winter just to be safe. If it was spring I'd run them another season, but it's not worth the hassle for the price.

17x10 is a wide wheel for a winter tire. I have 18x9s and I think it would perform better with a narrower wheel/tire. I run 295/65/18s in load range E.

I only use the truck for hauling or towing.

Nov 29, 2007
SW, MT
I am in the same boat, i have narrowed it down to:

Toyo a/t2
Cooper Discoverer Maxx
or possibly Goodyear Duratrac's?

had been running bfg a/t ko's on my dodge, and was happy with winter traction, but wasn't getting any mileage out of them, time to try something else

Blk88GT

Westbound and down
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Winnipeg, Manitoba
I had a couple set sof BFG TAs on my last truck and would never run them again after the Duratracs. No more plugging up in mud or spring snow.

Vern

Lifetime Membership
Jun 14, 2004
hyrum utah
Bfg just started releasing there new a/t ko2 tire, not sure what sizes are available though. The tread pattern look similar to there old a/t but supposedly they changed a bunch of stuff like the angle of the blocks, compound and have some magic siping that they say is good. The number one complaint I've had with the old bfg a/t is tread life but that is supposed to be better with the new compound. If they have the size I want I may give them a shot when the time comes, if not I'll probably give the duratracs a go.

Y

yamahahaha

Nov 26, 2007
Wyoming
Check out the new Nitto EXO grappler.They are studable,have a decent tread pattern with lots of siping. I have tried the the Duratrac's didn't like them too soft in the sidewall. BFG wear out too fast however I did have pretty good results from the Cooper ST Maxx

jsledder

Lifetime Membership
Jul 9, 2001
SD
www.outdoorsupplyonline.com
Never ran studded tires but I do have the Duratracs on my '11 mega cab Cummins. 2nd set, first set got me just a tad over 60K miles. Rotate every 5K and keep an eye on wear for chassis issues. I tow a 6 place enclosed 500 miles rountrip to our playground almost every other weekend in the winter and generally run around with a 3-4,000 load most of the summer. I've tried the Revo's, stock BF Goodrich (junk) and Transforce and so far the Duratracs are my choice. Not to say I wont try something different next time, I don't really need something that aggressive but I also don't want a sedan looking tire.

V

volcano buster

Nov 26, 2007
Stayton Oregon
Cooper ST Maxx 255/80-17 E

Mounted up on my F150 like they belonged there the whole time. Shows at 33" tall and 10" wide. I think I'll like them. Heading to McCall for Thanksgiving.

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
I ran nokian factory studded hakkapelittas on my duramax this winter after reading good reviews on them. These tires were awesome on snow, especially when they were new. Awesome traction on hard pack snow, they just plain hook up. Ice traction was good, about as good as you could wish for on ice. Noise is pretty minimal for a studded tire, the studs hum some, but they are quieter than a lot of all terrain tires. Only complaint is tread wear and price, I put 12,000 miles on these this winter, 7000-8000 of those pulling a 31ft enclosed trailer loaded with 5 sleds @8000ish lbs and the 40% wear mark is showing on all 4. They have no where near the traction they did when I bought them, all though most of the studs still look good. I will probably try to run them for another 5k or so next year but I'm betting they won't be good for any more than that. And at $1100 for a set of 4 265/70/16s they are not cheap. I don't expect a soft tire to last for long, especially on a 2500 towing a decent amount of weight, but these went FAST. I'm sure they would last much longer on a half ton, gasser, or if a guy didn't tow much. Not sure if I will run them again or not, the traction was far superior to any tire I have ever run in the winter, but they are the first dedicated winter tire I have ever ran. May try Blizzaks or Michellin winter LTXs when I am finished with these.

Last edited:

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
Washington state has passed a new law for next winter, $100 or $150 for a permit to run studded tires.

Los frijoles estan muy caliente dijo la mama osa!

I

inspector01

Mar 21, 2013
MN
Washington state has passed a new law for next winter, $100 or $150 for a permit to run studded tires.

Los frijoles estan muy caliente dijo la mama osa!

Good, ive never seen a need for studded tires unless you drive ice roads exclusively. I hate hearing people driving around seattle on studded tires, especially this year. Ban them I sayand make people learn to drive.

They do more damage to the roads over regular tires, why shouldn't they pay for it?

Last edited:
V

volcano buster

Nov 26, 2007
Stayton Oregon
I bought a set of General's 10 ply studded/mounted on spare rims. These were from Sears for $812. That was about 5 years ago and I only bolt them on when I will be towing and my daily tires are running low. With any luck, they will last me another 5-8 years as I don't end up bolting them on too often but I have them for known trips that might be of need for better grip.

Premium Features