• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

KTM EXC-F (500cc) ok as a snow bike??

C
Dec 13, 2016
Hi,

I am located in Quebec / Canada and thinking to order a KTM motorbike EXC-F model (500cc). It is street legal. See details here. http://www.ktm.com/ca-en/enduro/500-exc-f/ I am also looking at the 450 EXC-f six days http://www.ktm.com/ca-en/enduro/450-exc-f-six-days/ Not sure which one yet but should be one or the other...

The reason for that is to purchase a Timbersled and would like you opinion if this bike is good for such thing? It’s not a full cross and more an enduro type but also street… . Therefore not sure about the gear ration if ok for a snow bike… I love snowmobiling and biking and since I seen the timbersleds I fell in love with the idea and product..

Please let me know what you think… Would I need a different type of bike to have fun or the one mentioned would be good enough? Would my bike have enough quick power, speed and agility compared to a full cross to be compatible with Timbersled? Would you know anyone who has the same or similar? I don’t do racing nor jumping cliffs…

The reason that I would like this bike is because I could also using in the summer at the cottage and around… dirt roads as well… So it would suit my needs perfectly.. However not sure If I can turn it into an ideal snow bike…

Anyway I appreciate your opinion. At worse I can always change for a different model if you really think it’s not good what I choose.

Last, please let me know the best model of Timbersled to purchase according to the bike I choose (or the one you suggest I should get instead.

Thank you in advance.

Last edited:
T
Jan 19, 2008
Kootenays
For me personally living in BC it would be one of my top choices as far as a snowbike application. Living in BC and riding in the mountains my only concern or potential limitation would be the transmission (Wide Range). That being said I'm riding a YZ 450 Fx with a wide ratio and I love it. Also the street legal 500's will have some emissions stuff that will restrict the power a little. I suspect it is a common and relatively inexpensive mod to remove this stuff and let the bike breath a little better.
The 2017 500's look awesome. Lighter and more Power!
The 500's hold there value well as street legal bikes appeal to a lot of the riding demographic. Also there known to be quite reliable.
I do think the 450's work slightly better as a snow bike in the mountains however the new 500 has got to do very well. The 500 has some great features like a tall sixth gear (Great for long trail rides) and lots of power to tap into if you want hand warmers or a extra lighting etc.

Reactions: LCW

RMK935VA

Premium Member
Jan 14, 2008
Street legal versions in the states have EPA mandated control systems on them that reduce the power considerably. You should check and double check that before pulling the trigger. You can get the stuff off and remap the ECU I suppose but I would try to find an earlier version if the units in Canada have the same emissions junk on them.

A
Oct 4, 2016
Lewiston ID
the 500 is awesome... some simple mods make it even better but even in stock form you will be very happy! It isn't a simple conversion... meaning it will take you half a day to convert it back and forth but I chose the 500 for the same reasons... summer trail and street use. I rode it for the first time this weekend and rode a friends 450sx as well and the 500 performed just fine! Go for it!

P
Nov 30, 2013
Do it and don't look back. You wont find a more versatile bike (street legal, Enduro capable and snowbike'able)

I have one and zero regrets

C
Dec 13, 2016
Thank you all, I am so happy to get what I set my mind to from the beginning...

Now in regards with the timbersled kit, is there one in particular that you recommend for this bike??

Unfortunately here on the east coast this sport is relatively new and not as much resources and real experiences with snow bikes as you have there out west...

Thanks again.

• Sad
Reactions: mtnripper
C
Dec 13, 2016
Short track for sure in the east...

Can you please explain why a short track would be better for East Coast? I prefer longer tracks on snowmobile (mine has 153 inches) but I guess not the same or what would be the reason? Easier in backcountry? Still we get lots of snow...

Anyway just curious to know the difference and reason.. thank you.

CATSLEDMAN1

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Missoula, Montana
ktm

thumbs up from here for KTM 500, a great ride for an old guy, and maybe for you. Flat works.

A lot of the noise about long tracks for bikes the last few years was morel about traction than floatation, and I was a big advocate of that long track , but........2.5 " paddles 120 often kicks butt on the older 1.75-2.00 bike long tracks that used to come on the TS's. Flotation on the bikes doesn't seem to be a big issue or that helpful. I have run 120 - 141, once in awhile the long track was a plus, but not in fluff, in later season more setup snow in real steep ground with no run in.

Long track mid range sleds often ride better on rougher trails etc with that longer wheel base.

A 120 bike has plenty of wheel base.

G
Dec 20, 2007
Three Forks, MT
IMO the short track turns a faster and better. Plus its better on hardpack and it saves you some money!

I run a long track but I'm in Montana with deep fluffy snow and minimal trails.

If I was running more trail, short track for sure

J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
Awesome choice...probably the most useability of any toy I can think of. That 500 motor is rock solid too.

You guys are over blowing the emissions stuff IMO....don't get hung up on that. I have ridden a 500exc bone stock, and then with all the emissions stuff deleted, euro map, and full FMF exhaust. It sounded WAY better and ran great, but it is not a night/day on power IMO....more like a small upgrade.

That 450exc 6 days for 2017 will be awesome as well. You absolutely will not go wrong either way.

Premium Features