• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Just bought a MTX Nytro 153, need track advice

N

NVarra

Feb 3, 2013
British Columbia
Hey everybody.

I just pulled the trigger on a new 2013 Nytro MTX 153 and am pretty nervous about the stock Maverick track after reading about the lugs folding over since I do a heavy mixture of trail and deep mountain power riding.

The dealer will give me credit for the stock track so I'm considering having them put a Camoplast Challenger Extreme 2.5 on it. Do the 2013 Nytros have enough tunnel clearance for this track? Are there any other tracks with 2 1/4" paddles that will fit on the Nytro?

This machine will not be boosted as I bought the Nytro more for it's stellar reliability record over mountain performance.

Thanks in advance for your replies.

V

vector boy

Jan 5, 2008
Norfolk, NE
Putting a 153 2.5 Camo extreme under my '09. It'll fit fine. Doing avid drivers along with a 2wheel kit as well while it's out

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho

bjd68

Premium Member
Jul 22, 2012
Abbotsford BC
My Brother just put the camoplast extreme 162x15x2.5 on his 2010 nytro and loves it made a huge difference in climbing and overall performance!

N

NVarra

Feb 3, 2013
British Columbia
Thanks for the advise guys.

I'm going to stick with the 153" for the type of riding I do and because my local dealer doesn't have any good deals on the 162s ATM. :)

I was a little worried about a non-boosted Nytro turning a 2.5" track, but the general consensus is that it does have enough torque.

I'm almost tempted to leave the stock one on just to see how bad they really are or if it's just a bunch of bad Internet buzz created by the first generation Mavericks.

Sheesh.... Getting back into this sport is tougher than ever with all the great equipment on the market.

Reactions: christopher
M
Jan 14, 2004
When I bought my Nytro (In fact I've had 2) it had the 153 Maverick on it. It couldn't get out of it's own way. That track is a POS, period. You won't notice the extra length of the 162 like you may think but you will notice how short and $hitty 153 Mav is when you are getting it unstuck.

JMO

M5

Reactions: christopher
T

TRUEBLUEMAX

Aug 4, 2010
Hooper, Utah
I have run the extreme on my sled and I currently have a power claw on it. If you're mostly straight ahead riding I like the extreme better but I feel the sled works a little better in sidehilling situations with the power claw track.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Jago

Premium Member
Nov 4, 2011
Anchorage, Alaska
The ascent track hooks up in all conditions much better than the maverick. That change alone felt like 15 more hp. A 162 has very noticeable improved flotation in powder and no noticeable change in trail handling imo.

Octanee

Lifetime Membership
Nov 15, 2010
Cranbrook Bc
for the money id just go with what is well known to work. the camoplast challenger extremes! the stock maverick track is a joke. i couldnt believe my apex still had it when i bought it. but it was a cheap enough price i'd let it slide. and man o man was the track terrible. trenching everywhere. paddles wayyy too soft. on a flat area with a ft of fresh it'd almost get stuck, trench down through that ft of powder until it got into the harder stuff to move a bit more....

its a huge difference to go with a CE. if you have to spend the money. spend the money on what is known to be good! its what everybody goes to. i wouldnt bother with a yami track even the new ones unless you get it for some incredible cheap deal..... but even then i know guys are getting rid of the newer yami tracks and putting the CE on them anyways... still say the CE is better i hear

Reactions: NVarra
S
Oct 17, 2010
arvada colorado
powerclaw

Ive had all three, started with maverick then went to powerclaw. now i have the challenger extreme. of them all ,the powerclaw was noticeably better i think. it seemed to pull a little better in the deep snow and getting unstuck.the camo extreme is better than the maverick but just not as impressed by it. you can get either one pretty reasonably on here. sg

bholmlate

Premium Member
Dec 3, 2009
Reno, Nevada
Another factor that can help determine which track you want is what type of snow you normally ride in. I did a lot of research on tracks before I went with a 163 powerclaw. I have heard that in bottomless powder the CE seemed to get better reviews then the powerclaw. in other conditions the powerclaw seamed to get better reviews. I am sure you would be really happy with either one over the OEM track. the Powerclaw and the CE are the two most popular tracks for the nytro. I am very happy with my choice

Ryan-41

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Cheyenne, Wyoming
www.myspace.com
Power Claw

You can pick up a Power Claw on SnoWest that is in really good shape for around 250, I have heard a lot of people say that the Power Claw was the best mod they did for their Nyto!! Get the Power Claw, it will be any easy swap!!

Hope this Helps,

Ryan

Y

yzviper366

Aug 15, 2012
Bismarck, ND
Thanks for the advise guys.

I'm going to stick with the 153" for the type of riding I do and because my local dealer doesn't have any good deals on the 162s ATM. :)

I was a little worried about a non-boosted Nytro turning a 2.5" track, but the general consensus is that it does have enough torque.

I'm almost tempted to leave the stock one on just to see how bad they really are or if it's just a bunch of bad Internet buzz created by the first generation Mavericks.

Sheesh.... Getting back into this sport is tougher than ever with all the great equipment on the market.

That's what I said last year to. The mav is horrible I was getting out climbed by a 98 SRX extended to a 153 with an attack 20 track on it. Embarrassing. I went with the 162 CE + boost

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

N

NVarra

Feb 3, 2013
British Columbia
Thank you all for your input!

I was a bit shocked after my dealer said they'd give me $250ish for the stock track then $700 for the CE 2.5 plus 3 hours labour for swapping it. The total cost to swap would be almost $1000.00. It seems steep to me so I told them to forget about it for now. They are mounting a ton of accessories for me free of charge so I can't complain. If I'm going to pay that much to upgrade then I'm going to beat the crap out of the stock one first then swap it out myself to something else later.

Does the 2 1/4" Power Claw have to be modded (clips, trim nubs) or is it a drop in replacement?

V

vector boy

Jan 5, 2008
Norfolk, NE
Thank you all for your input!

I was a bit shocked after my dealer said they'd give me $250ish for the stock track then $700 for the CE 2.5 plus 3 hours labour for swapping it. The total cost to swap would be almost $1000.00. It seems steep to me so I told them to forget about it for now. They are mounting a ton of accessories for me free of charge so I can't complain. If I'm going to pay that much to upgrade then I'm going to beat the crap out of the stock one first then swap it out myself to something else later.

Does the 2 1/4" Power Claw have to be modded (clips, trim nubs) or is it a drop in replacement?

I wouldn't waste your time with the Power Claw. I sat on campus and studied tracks for the past couple months instead of doing school work, and for what people were getting out of new condition Power Claw tracks, I picked up a CE from Tracks USA for about $150 more. I figured if I was going to do it, might as well do it right the first time. Power Claw is a good track compared to the Mav, but the Nytro is like a whole new sled with a CE under it. I'm looking forward to seeing what this sled will be like now this season.

Premium Features