• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Johnson Pass

A

akhunter75

Aug 23, 2002
Rode there today. Rideable , but needs more base down low. Deep snow and bushes right now.

C

CATKILLER

Dec 6, 2007
ANCHORAGE,AK
rode johnsons today not to many people and lots of snow but not a good base. but one more good snow fall and it will be good;)

A

akhunter75

Aug 23, 2002
bushes

rode Johnsons again today. more deep snow and big alders. Met trout1 there and had fun trying to break trail ...

Rode today from Bertha Creek turn out down to Johnson Pass and up the 'right' side (wagon road) of the pass. We ran into into a group of two and another group of three at the first bridge with another group of three behind us. We made it over the first birdge and just before the second bridge is where it got deeper and we were all breaking trail up to the last switchback.

Three got stuck in a wind lip on the switchback and the rest of us waited for them to clear out of the way. This is when another group of 10 or so caught to us. We attacked the hill and pressed on to the next plateau where the creek bed was. After another creek crossing and more stuckfest, the group made it up to the lake. Not a bad day helping put in the trail. It should be good now to the lake. Don't forget your shovel to fill in the switchbakcs and trenches.

Chris

dragon800ak

Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Anchorage, Alaska
Rode Johnson yesterday, not many people and snow was actually okay. Lot of alder and open creeks. Light was flat most of the day. Pretty fun breakiing trail to end at the railroad tracks, but some pretty pucker factor episodes. Very warm and sweated like a pig.

A
Dec 31, 2007
Eagle River, AK
gonna ride johnsons tomorrow, ill give y'all a report when i get back

I was there a few days ago, unless they got dumped on there isn't much left. We went back to the lake but it was snowing so we couldnt see, turned around and did some more exploring. Most of it was tracked up or to many alders so you couldn't hit the hills. I hope it is good for you this weekend though.

Jan 4, 2008
Alaska
I was there a few days ago, unless they got dumped on there isn't much left. We went back to the lake but it was snowing so we couldnt see, turned around and did some more exploring. Most of it was tracked up or to many alders so you couldn't hit the hills. I hope it is good for you this weekend though.

it actually turned out pretty nice, the base set up pretty good, still needs more snow though, the trail there has gotten worse since last weekend though. we got into the pass late morning and it was socked in, sat around for about 20 minutes and it cleared up.:cool:

07-08sledding001.jpg

kev_alaska

Lifetime Membership
Dec 8, 2007
Anchorage Alaska
Went in yesterday across the two bridges. Bumpy going in but lots of snow. Flat light untill got up high.....Still some crappy water crossings.

Premium Features