• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Is MSD/Bosch #2222 the best FPR?

BigAir

Lifetime Membership
I am looking to replace my in-tank BDX regulator I have because of the numerous stories of it not being reliable. I am also looking forward to not having to stick my hand in the tank to adjust. I have found several suggestions on here to use the MSD/Bosch #2222 FPR. Is this as good as any? I have to run low (30 psi) fuel pressure and the specs say it is good for 36-45 psi. Anyone know if it can be turned down lower?

It is a OK fpr for its price and size, it just has one issued.. the max adjustable pressure off boost is 40-42 with the screw & jam nut bottumed out. I had to take out the nut and make a shim to get it to 42psi at sea level. At that pressure there is no threads at the end of the screw so its just on the edge of stripping before it bottums out on the hex.

Jim

Should I just buck up and buy the FPR that Cutler is using? It definitely looks like a better regulator, but I realize that looks really don't mean jack. I have just always heard on here that Cutler uses some of the best components.

BDX regulator

If you want to sell that BDX reg I would take it. I have those in 2 of my 3 M1000 turbos and no issues in 4 yrs.

Where have you heard these stories about them being unreliable?

Are you maybe getting the BDX one confused with the BMP one? That's the only thing I can think of, I've never heard anyone complain about the BDX one.

Either way, if you switch, I'd use the Cutler one. It's easily rebuildablle, works well, works in the whole range you want it to, and it's very well made.

Can't say I would complain about going to an out of tank one if you had to mess with it often... but you really shouldn't have to mess with it once you get it dialed, which should take about 5 minutes.

the cutler is a really nice, compact external unit.

I have run mallory and love em, just kinda bulky for the application. the CPC one is setup for our needs, not big race car unit.

I use the mds/bosch. I really like how long it holds fuel pressure when the engine is off. It makes the sled much easier to start with one pull all day long, no matter how long it sits.

I never tried to get down to 30 psi....could be a problem.

Where have you heard these stories about them being unreliable?
From Kevin at Mountain Magic. He had trouble with them not raising fuel pressure with boost and caused him two burn downs. He replaced all his BDX regulators with externals. I called Dakota Performance and they recommended the Bosch over the BDX as well.
mds/bosh perfect. why are you lowering fuel pressure to 30psi??just curious.
I am guessing you know the answer to this. I am running a Push/Dobeck box and Ken recommended 30 psi. I tried running with it higher because running the fp that low worries me, but the sled just won't run right with it any higher.

From Kevin at Mountain Magic. He had trouble with them not raising fuel pressure with boost and caused him two burn downs. He replaced all his BDX regulators with externals. I called Dakota Performance and they recommended the Bosch over the BDX as well.

Maybe I'm confused, but I didn't think the BDX one was a boost sensitive regulator? I thought it was similar to the BMP one, just a better version.

It says nothing about being a 1:1 or 2:1 fuel reg.

BDX regulator is 1:1 and there were some problems with Spring pressure on early ones which they were replacing the spring. . Using right boost hose into tank is also a must as some hoses get hard in the fuel environment and lose their seal. Regulator is a Turbosmart one with BDX custom machined base to attach to pump. I like it as it makes for a cleaner install with no return line.

I just talked to BDX and was told they have never had spring problems and there isn't a new spring available. I asked him about running fuel pressure that low and he did say that could be the problem. He suggested calling Ken and see if maybe he has a different spring. They do have a different o-ring that is suppose to help the regulator hold pressure longer and he is sending me one of those free of charge. Thanks BDX.

I had one quit yesterday on the trail headiing up the mountain.. only had 5 rides on it. It had good pressure at idle, but dropped to 10 psi on a little accelerationeven before engagement. Since i have the brass set screw i will be buying just the regulator for less than half from volvo and reusing the screw for a spare in my back pack.

To make a Turbo Fuel Pressure Regulator: Start with an adjustable fuel pressure regulator Bosch #0 280 160 001. It was used after 1968 on the Bosch D-Jetronic cars: VW Type III 68-73, Porsche 914 70-76 1.7L or 2L, Saab 69-74, Volvo, Renault 72-74.

Jim

Last edited:
Premium Features

Back