• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Is an 2002 polaris rmk 700 a good all around sled for alaska

R
Oct 11, 2009
Im thinking about buying a 2002 polaris rmk 700. It has a 144" track and has around 2000 miles and costs 2500 dollars. If any of you owned one before or know anything about them let me know.

thanks in advance

T

theultrarider

Nov 26, 2007
Soldotna Alaska
Im thinking about buying a 2002 polaris rmk 700. It has a 144" track and has around 2000 miles and costs 2500 dollars. If any of you owned one before or know anything about them let me know.

thanks in advance

Alot of guys on here are going to tell you that you need the latest and greatest mouse trap. Sure, we would all love that. Truth be told most of us have had edge chassis sleds at one time and some of us still do. They were considered the best of all time when they were new. They still do handle very well and are extremely durable. The 700 motor is bulletproof and will get you anywhere you really need to be. For that price with those miles, if the sled is in decent shape would be a great sled for someone wanting to get out on a budget. You will be hard pressed to come up with a better sled in that price range!

I
Nov 26, 2007
that was my first mountain sled, rode it for 5 years slowly modding it as I went. I'd recommend one and can give you a good starting point for set up if you buy one.

A

AKboondocker

Feb 4, 2006
Wasilla, Alaska
I had one. It was a great sled with good power and very reliable overall. One thing I would check is around the base of the cylinders for small hairline cracks around where they bolt to the bottom end. Mine as well as two others I know have cracked around those studs. Hard to see if the jugs are dirty, but worth cleaning them off a bit to have a closer look. Cant go wrong with the price. Id buy it if everything looks ok.

M
Nov 26, 2007
Fairbanks
I had a 03' w/ a 144. Great all around sled, and I could hit the trails harder on it then I can my 08'. Ran awesome for the 2500 miles I had on it, after it got sold the guy siezed the motor. I have my hunches why.

• Wow
Reactions: Walker1
H

HYFLYR

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 21, 2007
Alaska
I had one as well, the ve 144 700 and loved it. I put 2k miles on it in a year and my pops has it now with well over 5k miles and still running strong. I think thats a good price for a great running sled, you wont be dissapointed.

C
Nov 28, 2006
Willow, AK
I used to have the same year, same model.

I have the same sled same model sitting at home. Great sled with plenty of power. Never had any issues other than ones I caused. I've been letting friends and family ride it for the last couple of years. Think I'll sell it this winter to (help) pay for the new cat.

A
:mad:
I have the same sled same model sitting at home. Great sled with plenty of power. Never had any issues other than ones I caused. I've been letting friends and family ride it for the last couple of years. Think I'll sell it this winter to (help) pay for the new cat.

Agh, that was a good sled! Kinda miss that ol beast. I sold it to him with around 2500 miles and not one major problem. The exhaust bellows in the 02s needed to be changed over to a newer style. How many miles do you have on it now clayton? Did the front end lift kit work well on the trails? They are a great sled for the money these days. Miss my ol 02

Last edited:
C
Nov 28, 2006
Willow, AK
I've got somewhere north of 4k...haven't been on it in a while. I did have to do a rebuild though. Got the clutches rebuilt by ERPAC, that thing really hooks up well. I think it was quicker out of the hole than my '08 700. Got the fronts rebuilt and put some WE in the rear. That sled served me well for my first 2 years back in AK. I've been debating selling it or parting it and saving the 700 for a IQR next year. That engine runs so good its hard to part with.

Premium Features