• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Is a Turbo for me?

ultrasks700

Premium Member
Jul 7, 2009
MAINE
I have a 2010 M8 HCR. just over 1100 miles.
This year i'm doing some basic upgrades, ACT drive bearings, some vents, Powder pro skis, narrow front end,and some other doo-dads. But next year im seriously considering doing a turbo set up. Now i live near sealevel and about 4-5,000 feet is the highest i see.
I do lots of backcountry technical riding, but also do alot of "farting around", ice fishing, trailriding with my wifes family(they just wanna cruise), and so forth. Will this kill a turbo'ed sled? Would i be better off getting a beater machine for that type of stuff?
Also turbo set up, racegas, pumpgas? i guess the options are endless just need some direction...

S

Snopro_69

Mar 25, 2008
Saskatchewan
Maybe with the advancing technology of stand alones "cruising" with a two stroke turbo is getting better ( I've never rode one) But with my race gas kit (attitude box) even driving in on the trail 8 miles I gotta burp it constantly or EGTS and AF rise pretty good. Pretty sure if I held it mid range going across a lake/field like I always have with my crossfire I could blow it up (works amazing in the tress holding it WO an off an WO) That's just my experience and why I have a crossfire for doing all the other riding u explained an my mountian setup turbo I ride way more anyways. I also turn my LOW- CRUISE - WOT numbers up on the box for going up trail an helps a bit. It's always bin this way an I have over 3000 hard deep mountain miles on er running great.

Last edited:
D
Nov 6, 2012
I have a 2010 m8 with a turbo. I love it. I ride it at home(2000feet) and in the mountains(7000+). As sno pro said u canot cruise with them. Mines does that same as his. As for race gas/pump gas. If u wanna run pump gas 91 ur gonna have to run low boost. I can only run mine at 4 psi at 2000feet with out it detonating. I run 50/50 av gas/91 at 7 psi at home(2000') with no issues. But if u wanna puts with the family. Use it to puts go Ice fishing etc u won't like it.

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Red Lodge MT to North, CO
Do you need it,
When I ran a turbo I loved it when riding with other turbos but when riding with friends on NA sleds it got pretty boring. after upgrading suspension and other things I used the full potential of the sled and wound up going back to a na sled in '12 and have more fun even when riding with turbos. So if your not needing a turbo to ride with other turbo guys I would say don't do it. Also the new sleds are a blast to ride, some neeed a few chassis mods to do what I do, but so far my riding level is high enough that even when riding with turbos I go more places unless its straight up a chute or something where you have to have the power. So for 10% of the time or less I can't see the benefit but may turbo one of my sleds for the heII of it.
Based on what you said I think you would benefit the most from a new sled more than anything else. There just better and better throttle response, ease, fuel economy, ride, comfort, etc...

IMO, if you turbo you need to upgrade the rear skid to get the use of the turbo. KMOD completely changes everything and makes it usable unlike anything else. especially on a M sled.

ultrasks700

Premium Member
Jul 7, 2009
MAINE
I'm looking at some "beater" sleds. Ones a 91 phazer LT 136", if i like it it will serve as my trail/ice fishing sled.
Not alot of guys in new england run turbos. Its very rare to ever come across one. So i would stir up quite i frenzy if i were to do one...

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Red Lodge MT to North, CO
At your elevation you will have to run race gas most likely, might be just as effective to do a big bore. They flat rip down low. And no one would really know.

T

tar

Nov 26, 2007
Sumas WA
A four stroke turbo may fit your needs better.
they run all day on pump gas no problems.

Tar

RobertTrivanovic

Lifetime Membership
Nov 8, 2012
Abbotsford BC
You 100% cant cruise with them like said above. But I love mine running 8psi pump gas. I dont ride with any other turbos and it doesnt matter to me, riding trees its not like youre trying to get a highmark anyways. Personally id say they are the most fun sleds youll ever ride. But Im not sure for you mainly because of the cruising thing, could you handle burping the throttle the entire time?

B
Nov 27, 2007
Rovaniemi, Finland
Make a mechanical level/switch or something which forces the wastegate full open. After that sled should work as n/a sled ;) Some guys around here use that trick to save gas on trails and make sled work more fluent. These sleds are pump gas setups.

Last edited:
Premium Features