• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Iqr turbo

Thinking about turboing my 660ho iqr. Found a hm turbo kit for an iq 600 carb for a good price and seeing what you guys may recommend. Good or bad idea? I'm confident in tuning, I don't know if you've seen the sleds I have built and owned but I got a fairly good idea how these sleds work. But I am not too sure on how to set a turbo up. The kit is complete and he said he was running 6-8 psi with this. I was also told that the pipe will fit but you need to twist the springs or smtn? Assuming I would have to turn the pipe to fit in the chassis? Can you guys help me decide? Either this route (which I really want to do because not many have done it) or a BIG motor.

I've seen alot of turbos out there now. issues, issues, tuning, under the hood, doing this, doing that. Great power wise but ALOT of tuning and upkeep. I too would rather have the BB and im at altitude. When a turbo is running good, its awesome though, no doubt.

only way to turbo is with fuel injection (IMO). i wouldnt waste your time with a carb turbo. 660/685 or cfi swap then turbo.

sorry... but everyone has the carbs down so well, its eazzzy cheezy. The systems are very simple and the power jets make tuning super simple.

My biggest concern would be the porting on your 660. Depending on what was done to your cylinders they may not like the turbo.

X2 on what Outlaw said! I'd take carbs over injection all day long!

Sent from my HTC VLE_U using Tapatalk 2

Its been done ALOT on carbed engines. Some guys end up with a good set up and rarely have to tinker with the powerjets, other guys end up always messing with stuff. I ride with a large group of people, i'd say 80% of them have turbos on EFI sleds, most are pros, some are cats. Either way they are under the damn hood messing with air/fuel, boost, etc, etc. the entire ride. They never seem to be happy with how its running, its always something. This is what led me to do a BB on my sled. Its pull and go, i fill up the gas tank and oil tank and i ride. Sure i can't rally up the mtn doing 70 but i sure as hell have a great time riding. Its really up to you and how much you like tinkering, if you good at dialing carbs on a NA sled then you'll probably be able to set up the powerjets fairly easy. I will probably end up with a turbo at some point but for me a pull and go sled is as good as it gets. Also take into account running at higher boost levels often means you have to run race fuel or AV fuel or a mix of them with premium. Make a decision and run with it, research and research and you'll be happy in the end.

Yeah I've been thinking a lot of the whole deal. I'm pretty good at setup. Been wrenching for 8 years and have done a couple custom builds so I know what to do tuning wise. Still debating on the turbo. If I can sell my Complete setup ill do a big motor but if I can't ill either do a turbo or might swap in a 800 mono and put the 660 in a roller for the gf. Race fuel isn't an issue with me I don't care too much. I usually only play when I go and don't do much long hauls. I am tinkering usually too so that doesn't bother me. Loved the 660 when I first rode it but I get used to power too easily. So either turbo or else thinking something over a 800 twin or else a xcr 800 setup.

Only concerns are pipe fitment and air box and boost tube. Everything else I'm pretty ok on. The kit I found is from a iq consumer chassis so it shouldn't be too different.

How about a XCR with a turbo? Now that's yummy!!!

Finding a air box that fits your motor should be easy. A modified Dragon 700 pipe or a pipe off a pro might be your best bet. Otherwise you shell out some cash for a custom pipe.

The rest of it is fairly simple if you have some moderate fab skills.

Premium Features

Back