• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

IQ chassis versions, pros and cons

P
Dec 7, 2007
Mill Creek, WA
I'm in the market for a replacement sled. I am coming off of an M7 - 162" which I liked a lot. I am leaning toward a Polaris 800 cc sled, but I am willing to consider an M8. I liked my M7, but I want more power, and reverse w/factory reliability.

My reason for switching brands is heavily influenced by local dealer support.

Here are some of the things I know:

I want a "long track", I've had a 153, a 162, and liked the 162 better
I want 800 cc, EFI
I want Reverse (load and unload)
I like the Polaris factory side board design, how it kicks up at the back.

Things I'm learning and I think I have figured out:

The IQ "RAW" chassis is the current chassis that the RMK is built on, right?
The Dragon is a suspension package and stickers installed on the RMK, right?
The Assault is built on an IQ RAW chassis, and is a short-tracked mountain sled, right?

I've gotten some recent feedback from a friend, (he and I are similar in size, ride attitude, and experience.) He didn't care for the Walker-Evans stuff on his Dragon, and actually preferred the coil-overs on his wife's sled.

So, Maybe I should be trying to find just a standard 800 RMK 162, and save the $ by not getting a 'dragon'? perhaps put the $ into some Holtz stuff or something else?

I've been watching the 'swapmeet' forums for both AC and Polaris, and maybe I don't know what I'm reading but I did see a few dragons, but not very many standard RMK's. Did they just not make many, or have I missed them?

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Premium Features