• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

intercooler for BD kit

How many of you guys added an intercooler? was the result worth an 800 investment or would you just do a cold air intake?? If you did add an intercooler did you do the factory BD or a custom setup. Appreciate the input! sled is an 09 m8 with a BD kit

like to run 8lbs on a mix of avgas and premium... i do some rather long pulls once and a while and see the max charge temp on the BD box quite a bit

Im curious about this as well. How much does the new bd intercoolers drop charge temps typically. Is there anyone that has installed one that regreted it? Do they bring more lag?

A true cold air intake should be done first and will be more beneficial. If you can keep the hood clean and have airflow the coolers work good.

Like everytime5.9 said...do a CAI. 3 out of 4 us have taken the BD mini IC off! Yes it does bring temps down, it does make a difference, but the CAI makes a much bigger difference...you can feel the power difference! I typically run 9-10lbs at 8-11k on premium. Works perfect for my boondockin riding style.

I got my BD mini IC sitting on the shelf if that's what you're looking for - I'll give ya a great deal on it!

Last edited:
So if you do a cai and keep the intercooler will it actually heat up the air a little, or are you just getting rid of it for weight and simplicity/lag?

*Intake under hood w/ IC - with last seasons warmer than usual wet sticky snow the IC wasn't getting much airflow therefore temps were always maxing out and you could feel the performance hit. Obviously utilizing the IC helped decrease temps compared to no IC. If I were to keep the intake under the hood I would definitely leave the IC in place.

*CAI w/ IC - Didn't really notice much of a difference in intake temps with or without the IC when using the CAI.

Lose weight and maybe a tiny tiny bit of lag without the IC. Does simplify changing reeds in my opinion.

Just my .02

Premium Features

Back