• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Insulating charge tube.... what do you think?

T

TheBreeze

I have been contemplating testing out insulating the charge tube pre intercooler on my boondocker race gas kit (2010). The tube runs very close to the pipe an I think it must become hotter or gain heat from the radiant heat off the pipe, but it is only theory at this point.

Has anyone ever tried this?

I was going to use some adhesive heat wrap on the sides of the charge tubes that face the pipe to keep it from absorbing the pipe heat.

Any thermodynamics experts out there feel free to chime in...lol

Basically, wondering if the insulation will keep more heat in, or more heat out.

Not looking for cold air intake, delete the intercooler, etc. I am up to speed on that.

Last edited:
just get rid of the innerheater yo...:face-icon-small-ton

Maybe I'm thinking of it wrong, but if the charge tube (air) is hotter than the underhood air around it then you're insulating the heat IN.

I had Bparks header wrap my stinger on my pipe, so that the heat from the pipe stayed in & away from the charge tube (they're close to each other on the cutler kit) but I can't see wrapping the tube being a good thing.

My pipe is fully wrapped.

Put a hood vent on it and leave it uninsulated, its gonna get hot due to the turbo no matter what you do to it .... with that said, I wish my sled didn't have the IC on it right now.

Premium Features

Back