• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Install and Review: PowderKeg for Viper

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Just saw this.
Looks like they JUST released a new PowderKeg for the Yamaha Viper!

Think I am going to get one for my sled. :face-icon-small-hap

http://powderkegllc.com/shop/yamaha-products/y-700-cm-low-profile-combo-pak/

Y-700-CM Low Profile Combo PAK
fits “Viper” model snowmobiles with 137″ and longer tracks

DSCN4480.jpg

This is the combination of the Y-700-B Powder Keg storage box and the Y-700-F fuel keg. This Combo Pak fits Yamaha “Viper” model sleds with 137” or longer tracks. The storage box has 1800 cu. inches (29.7 liters of dry storage) of storage space and the fuel keg has a 3.25 gallon capacity (12.3 liters of gas). Can be used separately or together. Also includes our 13 can foam drink holder.
Our Storage Kegs

All Powder Keg storage boxes are constructed of special lightweight plastic that remains pliable even at extremely low temperatures but is strong enough to retain its custom shape because of the quality workmanship used to manufacture these products! Our boxes keep your gear drier than any bag on the market today. Each box comes complete with all the stainless steel mounting hardware.
Our Fuel Storage Kegs

All Powder Keg fuel cans are constructed of a special fuel compliant plastic which remains pliable in extremely cold temperatures. Our fuel cells are manufactured to couple, when desired, with our storage boxes for a sleek, clean look. Each fuel cell comes complete with stainless steel mounting hardware and CARB-approved spout and travel cap.
The Manufacturing Process

Powder Keg storage boxes and fuel cells are manufactured using a rotational mold process. This process is much slower and more labor intensive than other molding processes, however, it results in our products having thicker plastic in the areas in which added strength is necessary. The result is a long lasting, quality product on which we are proud to offer a two-year warranty.
The Mounting Hardware

After working with the company who manufactures our draw latches, Powder Keg realized that there were six alterations to their latch that were necessary to ensure the latch would be stronger and more secure than any other similar latch. These alterations guaranteed us that we would be able to offer them to our Powder Keg customers with complete confidence that they would be exactly what was needed for our products.

Last edited:

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
picture.php

The 700-F Fuel Keg has 14 baffles that give it incredible strength. Between uses the spout stores firmly into a recessed area in the tank itself. It’s low profile design keeps the bulk of the fuel weight forward and the rest is evenly distributed. Our four stainless steel draw latches will not allow our fuel keg to loosen and pound on your snowmobile like strap systems often do. May be mounted separately or in combination with our Storage Box (Y-700-B). Material: Cross link plastic. Includes a spill resistant pour spout, the mounting hardware and instructions for one snowmobile.
Our Fuel Storage Kegs

All Powder Keg fuel cans are constructed of a special fuel compliant plastic which remains pliable in extremely cold temperatures. Our fuel cells are manufactured to couple, when desired, with our storage boxes for a sleek, clean look. Each fuel cell comes complete with stainless steel mounting hardware and CARB-approved spout and travel cap.
The Manufacturing Process

Powder Keg storage boxes and fuel cells are manufactured using a rotational mold process. This process is much slower and more labor intensive than other molding processes, however, it results in our products having thicker plastic in the areas in which added strength is necessary. The result is a long lasting, quality product on which we are proud to offer a two-year warranty.
The Mounting Hardware

After working with the company who manufactures our draw latches, Powder Keg realized that there were six alterations to their latch that were necessary to ensure the latch would be stronger and more secure than any other similar latch. These alterations guaranteed us that we would be able to offer them to our Powder Keg customers with complete confidence that they would be exactly what was needed for our products.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Woo Hoo!
My new Powder Keg shipped out this morning.

You can look forward to a full review just as soon as it arrives.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
What a NICE addition to the sled.
Little interesting background comment before the install.
So I got this kit about a week or so ago and have been working on installing a turbo on the Viper and just did not have time to get the Powderkeg installed.

I get an e-mail from the guys over the weekend asking if I had already finished the install. I replied not yet, but that I was going to do my best to get it done before I take off for the SnoWest Forum ride in Canada. They proceed to let me know that a couple of their customers that got the first couple of units had reported that there was a tiny bit of fine snow dust making it's way into some of the PowderKegs and would I mind if they sent me a new upper unit that had a different gasket on it.

I mention this in passing as its the sort of thing that a company that actually cares about it's customers does. Pretty cool if you ask me!!

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Step 1 in what is a VERY easy and user friendly installation is the attachment of the turn buckles on both the fuel tank and the storage box.

Flat screws on the bottom.
Hex Pins on the top.
Both get some Med Locktite to hold them in place.
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Once the buckles are properly installed, with the single latch on the storage unit and the double two sided latch on the fuel cell (All VERY clearly laid out in the brief installation instructions with Good Photos) you are ready to actually install the unit on the sled.

Tonight's Victum.
2015 Yamaha Viper MTX 162
picture.php

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Fuel Keg in place checking for distance from the front of the keg to the back of the seat. Final positioning is really up to you, though they suggest you keep it far enough back that it can NOT come into contact with the seat to cause any Rubbing issues.
picture.php

picture.php

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Next item is to position and rivet the mounting brackets on the tunnel for the Fuel Keg to lock onto.

With the fuel keg in the position you want it, you slide the mounting brackets into position so the latch ends up centered with the rear slot.
picture.php

picture.php

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
I chose to mark the location with some white paint just to be absolutely sure where each of the four brackets went.

picture.php

Looking straight down on the top of the tunnel.
Notice that I put down some duct tape while I was sliding these back and forth to begin with just for abrasion protection.

picture.php

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Once everything is properly positioned and marked you end up with three little dots that need to be drilled out for the rivets.

picture.php

I started out to drill it freehand then thought better of it and taped the bracket in place as a guide.
picture.php

picture.php

Premium Features