• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Input on 800 HO

O
Dec 2, 2007
Black Hills
I need some input on what to do with my 800 HO. I bought an 03 Summit 800 HO back in Feb for a second sled it apparrently has sat around a lot because it only had a thousand miles on it when I bought it. The sled was a little rough and dirty but otherwise seemed sound. I went through it from front to back, checked, cleaned and adjusted everything (as I am prone to do with everything I own). The sled ran very well the first time out but after about 30 miles some guys riding behind me said it belched out a cloud of gray smoke that smelled terrible, at the same time it started cutting out and I thought it was going to blow or at least quit running but then it came out of it and ran fine again (I've read somewhere that these motors will do that when the inner crank seal fails and the isoflex grease gets sucked into the crankcase and burns). I rode it several more times after that and it never did it again, rode it maybe 250 miles all told. The motor has good compression, 142# on both sides at 4000 ft altitude and seems to have good power. My main concern is that it is noisy, sounds like a skateboard going down a sidewalk when it is idling, ( clack, clack, clack) sounds like piston slap to me but I'm not sure. With all the things you read about 800's on here I'm wondering if I should tear it down and at least check it out or just go ahead and put in new pistons or just run it, if I put in new pistons what brand should I go with ? I've read that Cudney sell's an excellent piston, tell me what you think I should do here.

Last edited:
Premium Features