• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

indy 500 powder project

S
Nov 28, 2010
Saskatchewan, Canada
Ok, I hope this doesn't sound like a stupid idea but, I have a 92 indy 500 just sitting in the back yard collecting dust,snow,leaves and probably some mouse nests. It's not in the best of shape body wise and thats not a concern for this project, I just want to have some fun riding. I am a project kind of guy and was thinking of turning it into a powder sled. It's free and would be cheap to do so. I realize that it's only a 500 and it's a wedge chassis which in not ideal for a deep powder sled but I just want something to drive the crap out of along the lake shores. I have a line on a 136 xtra 10 and was thinking of setting it back for a 144. I am just wondering if that would be too much track for it to spin. I don't need speed for this sled just some bottom end power. Would I be able to do some gearing and clutch changes to make the 500 engine work. This would strictly be a just for playing in the powder at slower speeds.

V

volcano buster

Nov 26, 2007
Stayton Oregon
Gear it down, it should do fine.

This is a 500 that a guy put a 159" under. He said his kid rode it and would go most places the guys would go but just not as fast. That was in steep deep Idaho backcountry snow. Your 144" should be fine.

S
Nov 28, 2010
Saskatchewan, Canada
Cool, thats kind of what I want to do. I realize that it won't be a power sled, I'm just looking for something to beat up in the deep snow. Not looking to go extreme. Handle bar riser, higher seat, longer track, 144 would be nice. I have a line on a xtra10 136 and could set it back for a 144 track. Possibly an xtra10 front end if I can find one cheap enough. Clutch and gear work for low end power.
What would I have to set back a 136" skid to fit a 144 track.

Last edited:
V

volcano buster

Nov 26, 2007
Stayton Oregon
I think you would be happier with either 144" rails or rail extensions. Setting it that far back will mess with the weight on the front end and weight transfer. If you can keep as close to stock mounting points you will retain close to the intended "teeter/totter" pivot, otherwise it will push that front end all the time. Not something you want with the Wedge front end anyway.

F

Flying Dutchman

Dec 14, 2007
Red Deer
Many moons ago, I had an Indy500 SKS 133.
Swapped in a 1-1/2" x 136 without any other needed mods.... Didn't have no Xtra10, just the std8 of that era. At the time, it worked quite well in the deep snow. Put many miles on that old girl.
How things have evolved.:face-icon-small-hap
If you have the resources to build, go for it.

500sks1.jpg

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
x-10 would add some clearance at the expense of weight.
i would think about dropping the stock skid a hair, and maybe like an inch tops setback if you need to suck up track length.
the front end all tucked in there with a skidplate to cover the gap is like a big ski.

S
Nov 28, 2010
Saskatchewan, Canada
Thats a sweet looking sled there flying dutchman. I always like the black and blue. And good point snojet on the skid plate/ski.
As for gearing, the manual says the stock gears are 20/39 (if I am reading it right). What should I drop to for more bottom end power. And clutching, I have no idea where to go with that. I can dissasemble and repair but don't much about the tuning aspect.

Last edited:

05rmksteve

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Sep 5, 2008
Brainerd, MN
I re did a 1993 sks 500 this year for my 10 yr old. I installed an extra 10 133 rear suspension and a set of spindles from a 97 or 98 XC there an inch longer than the stock 500. I had the xtra 10 front set up but it wouldn't work on the old wedge chassis. The spindle upgrade works great to level the sled out and the extra 10 rides 100 times better than the old 7.5. If you can get the rear suspension mount measurements of the donor sled it will help in the install. I'm thinking about stretching it out next year to a 136 or 144.

F

Flying Dutchman

Dec 14, 2007
Red Deer
I haven't looked at this stuff for a long time, but always kept notes in my trusty old sled bible.

Your gear ratio; 20/39 = 1.95
The SKS came stock with 18/35 = 1.944, so pretty much the same as what you have.
So just leave the gearing alone and see how it performs. You can always change it later.
Primary had blue Poo spring with 10MB weights.
All for 3000-6000ft.

05rmksteve

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Sep 5, 2008
Brainerd, MN
Great info guys, this is the kind of info I need. As far as dimensions for skid install this is a great site. http://www.jbshocks.com/tech.html
I will make a list of what I need and start looking for the parts. Keep the info coming

When doing the swap I found out that there where 3 or 4 different xtra 10 skids and each had a different mount location along with different chassis had different mount holes for same skids.

S
Nov 28, 2010
Saskatchewan, Canada
I haven't looked at this stuff for a long time, but always kept notes in my trusty old sled bible.

Your gear ratio; 20/39 = 1.95
The SKS came stock with 18/35 = 1.944, so pretty much the same as what you have.
So just leave the gearing alone and see how it performs. You can always change it later.
Primary had blue Poo spring with 10MB weights.
All for 3000-6000ft.

Sounds good, thanks.

Premium Features