• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Important information .....

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
Hi guys and gals, As most here know Eric Logan (2000TCMC) passed away this weekend while riding at petersville .Since his passing I have been bothered by a few things that happened that day.When information about Eric was needed none of us could provide it..simple info that included if he was married, if he had children, wifes name, cell #, home #,address, as well as personal health info.I feel very bad that we could not provide this simple info...I hope that one of the things that Eric's passing might do here is help us all in the future if we find our selves in an emergency. I hope that all of you will do what I am going to do...I am putting a printed card both in my wallet and my inner jacket pocket that contains current emergency contact #'s and names,current medications, health history,current doctor,and serious allergies(allergic to pennacillin for me)..I hope others will chime in here with things I may have missed that may be needed in an emergency...thanks mike...

E

Ex-Member

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Mar 14, 2007
Yeap, always pack ID and insurance card on me. Throw 'em in my shirt when I rodeo, wallet stays with me sledding. Never really thought about the contact info.

T

theultrarider

Nov 26, 2007
Soldotna Alaska
Good idea Mike. I have never really thought about that. Now that it is brought up, I can see exactly what you are saying. I think a basic cpr and first aid course off season as a "get together" would be be a great idea as well. So often, we ride in areas that medical help is hours if not days away. We are literally many times putting our lives in those that we ride with in more ways than one. The only way I could feel worse about osing a freind, is to realize that I could have made a difference, if only I had had some basic simple training, but did not know what to do for them.

N
Feb 23, 2009
Anchorage Alaska
The news report punched me hard - Eric was nearly a decade younger than I am. I'm not anywhere near the experienced or in-shape rider he was, either.

Here's a 'first draft' of a card that can be printed out and laminated using the inexpensive kits found at your local business supply store (Fred Meyer stores carry little card lamination kits here in Alaska). The card is sized at 3" x 2.5" - the same as a business card. Fill in the data in a permanent ink, then laminate and carry on your person, on your sled, inside the liner of your helmet, in your wallet...

b184f52a-f06e-40ce-b736-c2875b2b23c3.jpg

N
Feb 23, 2009
Anchorage Alaska
Hmmm - it prints out oversize. I'll tweak it this weekend after the Talkeetna trip.

In any case, honor the intent of what AKSNOWRIDER is saying - make yourself an identifiable rather than anonymous person - file a ride plan with your emergency contact!

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
Hmmm - it prints out oversize. I'll tweak it this weekend after the Talkeetna trip.

In any case, honor the intent of what AKSNOWRIDER is saying - make yourself an identifiable rather than anonymous person - file a ride plan with your emergency contact!

thanks and the card is a great idea..can you add this phone # to it(it is the # for the 11th rescue cordination center which is faster in a backcountry emergency for airborn help?)thank you..mike

A
Nov 30, 2007
alaska
thanks and the card is a great idea..can you add this phone # to it(it is the # for the 11th rescue cordination center which is faster in a backcountry emergency for airborn help?)thank you..mike

Great idea on the card mike, but I think you forgot the number, here ya go 907-551-7230

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
hey now..no one asked for comments from the peanut gallery...lmao..how ya doing tim? hows the shoulder? you guys get any more snow yet?

T

theultrarider

Nov 26, 2007
Soldotna Alaska
BTW, Grat idea and thread Mike. So many guys leave their wallets and all id in the trucks. A laminated card like above with ontact info, aleregies and even blood type would be a great thing to stick in your jacket pocket and one in your bibs as well and just leave them there.

N
Feb 23, 2009
Anchorage Alaska
Here we go - two versions - one for folks not fortunate enough to ride the last frontier, and one for Alaska. I preflighted these and they should now print out at 3" x 2.5" (business card size). Lamination kits for luggage tags or business cards will work great - but in a pinch a piece of clear box tape wrapped around the card does just dandy (double wrap it for good measure).

782daa87-0799-407e-8011-abe0f05f73d3.jpg

The Great Land version...

450a49d9-a1c3-4cec-b15e-015512412715.jpg

The contiguous 48 states version...

Remember to leave a ride plan when you go - even just knowing where you were going to park can narrow the search pattern down tremendously if you're reported overdue from a backcountry trip (in Alaska - backcountry = everywhere beyond the parking lot berm).

Reactions: AKSNOWRIDER
Premium Features