• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Ice Age Hellfire and TKI Billet Wheels

FriscoProx

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
Anyone running stock, 8", or big wheel kits from either of Ice Age or TKI? Broke a rear idler already and until now had good luck with stock in the past but thinking these sleds are spinning big heavy tracks on two cheap plastic wheels. Seems there could be some ride quality and possibly small performance gains. Any input from those who use them?

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
The Promised Land……..
Anyone running stock, 8", or big wheel kits from either of Ice Age or TKI? Broke a rear idler already and until now had good luck with stock in the past but thinking these sleds are spinning big heavy tracks on two cheap plastic wheels. Seems there could be some ride quality and possibly small performance gains. Any input from those who use them?
I’m running TKI 9” setup with plastic wheels.

Much smoother rolling and better wheelies. ?

Noticeably better reverse in powder.

122829EA-6E4B-4FE7-91A8-A79D265A5CB2.jpeg

K

KhaosRipcord

Feb 15, 2023
Colorado
9” IceAge Hellfire wheels.
Also noticed smoother running with 3.5” track pitch and better backing up in deep snow.View attachment 382376
What kind of track tension you seeing on this set up? Any issues? I put the 9in hellfires with offset axle and it is tight! Also, the rear of the rail is only like 1/4" from touching the track clips.

K

KhaosRipcord

Feb 15, 2023
Colorado
On friends' 9" setups, clearance is tight!
Have they run into any issues with rail clearance or track performance? The best I can get is like 3/4" tension but the book calls for 1 to 1 1/4" on the 2.75 track. Debating leaving it in there or going a different direction for next season.

• Vomit
Reactions: TRS

Pickin’ Boogers

Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2013
No "problems" with clearance, but if I remember right, a few rear rail tips have rub marks. Likely just from the occasional contact due to oscillations as the track spins.

In reality, the 9" kits are designed as an afterthought and show it (a dedicated design would have rails cut to use 9" wheels to begin with, using a straight axle). The IceAge offset axles don't even have a flat surface for the adjustment bolts to push on - they're ramped instead of square. Again, not a "problem," but ineligant.

Like a lot of the snowmobile industry, it seems the market is so small that kits aren't as refined as they would be with higher volume sales.

Reactions: KhaosRipcord

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
The Promised Land……..
No "problems" with clearance, but if I remember right, a few rear rail tips have rub marks. Likely just from the occasional contact due to oscillations as the track spins.

In reality, the 9" kits are designed as an afterthought and show it (a dedicated design would have rails cut to use 9" wheels to begin with, using a straight axle). The IceAge offset axles don't even have a flat surface for the adjustment bolts to push on - they're ramped instead of square. Again, not a "problem," but ineligant.

Like a lot of the snowmobile industry, it seems the market is so small that kits aren't as refined as they would be with higher volume sales.
Yeah TKI has a much cleaner offset axle design than ice age…….

If you want a “dedicated design” just buy ice age rails cut for 9” wheels and some wheels to use with your stock axle.

No sense in acting like that option doesn’t exist.

Reactions: KhaosRipcord

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
I run 9" plastic wheels with TKI offset axle. This on a 165 Matryx with the 3.25" lug track. I thought i might be pushing it with the tall lugs but there was no problem at all as nothing seems to contact in the tunnel. There is plenty of adjustment too. I also run 6" lengths of UHMW off the back of the skis with a tip-up, so it backs up like a dream.

Attachments

• skis.jpg
    skis.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 37
Premium Features