• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Husky air box help

D
Nov 22, 2017
I have 2017 FE501. I want to keep my airbox and not replace it with a pod filter (they are pricey $300+) .

So I grabbed a pre-filter that fits my cage. and some pre-filter material and some round frog skinz hole covers.

I was thinking put pre-filter over my existing cage, should I still put my foam air filter in? If so should it be oiled or not? the oil attracts snow but also helps to resist water/moisture

Then I have to figure out a way to keep snow from getting into the air box and I can't find an easy way to cover off the openings into the air box with the pre-filter so I was thinking, plug the slotted air passages with foam weather stripping to block them completely. Then for actual air flow I was thinking drill two 2.5" holes in the plastic side panel and cover those holes with Frog Skinz prefilter. I figure this would be a good way of letting air in and keeping snow out. Does that make sense or am I in for a big surprise am I setting myself up for failure?

What have you other Husky owners done with the existing air box?

Revv Up

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2011
Revelstoke BC
www.revvup.net
I do a few of these for the locals here in Revelstoke. I make Frogzskins that Velcro on to all the airbox openings. It’s tedious and fussy work but there a few people out there that would rather keep their stock airbox than go to a snorkel (which would be way less expensive.

The beauty of mine are the really stay in place for the season except the left side as you need to remove your filter to dry it out.

H
Oct 2, 2017
I do a few of these for the locals here in Revelstoke. I make Frogzskins that Velcro on to all the airbox openings. It’s tedious and fussy work but there a few people out there that would rather keep their stock airbox than go to a snorkel (which would be way less expensive.

The beauty of mine are the really stay in place for the season except the left side as you need to remove your filter to dry it out.
So do you take off the airbox plastic completely and replace it with the Velcro frogskin?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

T
Mar 9, 2012
Never done a thing on my 501 17 airbox. 50 days last year in 3 foot pow here in crested butte, co. Not one hiccup. My 2 cents.

D
Nov 22, 2017
Never done a thing on my 501 17 airbox. 50 days last year in 3 foot pow here in crested butte, co. Not one hiccup. My 2 cents.

it's not about depth of powder it's about moisture content and air humidity. We have tons of snow but dessert like low humidity and the snow as you ride through becomes this super fine dust in the air like flour. The intake sucks this in and it coats the air filter. I went out 5 times, first two times we had powder but high humidity and my air box was completely intact when i got home, no snow made it in whatsoever. then we hit the really cold days and more snow dropped and within minutes of leaving the truck my air box was completely packed with snow.

D
Nov 22, 2017
nice idea, I thought about that and now that I see it in action that looks like it would work better then I thought it would.

I'm still leaning towards my original approach as adding the additional holes on the side panel will add way more air flow into the restrictive air box.

Revv Up

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2011
Revelstoke BC
www.revvup.net
nice idea, I thought about that and now that I see it in action that looks like it would work better then I thought it would.

I'm still leaning towards my original approach as adding the additional holes on the side panel will add way more air flow into the restrictive air box.

Try it but my gut feeling is on those really powdery days it’s still going to come in the cracks and fill the airbox. The opening under the seat is a invitation along with behind the right side panel.

D
Nov 22, 2017
Try it but my gut feeling is on those really powdery days it’s still going to come in the cracks and fill the airbox. The opening under the seat is a invitation along with behind the right side panel.

that's why I was hoping the weather stripping would block those off. But I guess I can do both really,

So with your velcro'd in prefilter do you still run your bike's regular air filter?

racert17

Premium Member
Dec 17, 2008
kelowna bc
Contact Brad at pst, I have one of his intakes on my husky, I have my airbox completely gutted....16 fc450, and have absolutely 0 issues, spend the money, you will end up messing around with that airbox and have nothing but grief.
Brads service is outstanding, I live on the west coast of Canada and spent hours on the phone with him, I sent my intake back once because the fitting wasn’t exactly the way I wanted it and he did nothing but help, awesome customer service and this guy knows how to make an intake work, it’s not just an after thought like some of the high end kits out there offer

D
Nov 22, 2017
Contact Brad at pst, I have one of his intakes on my husky, I have my airbox completely gutted....16 fc450, and have absolutely 0 issues, spend the money, you will end up messing around with that airbox and have nothing but grief.
Brads service is outstanding, I live on the west coast of Canada and spent hours on the phone with him, I sent my intake back once because the fitting wasn’t exactly the way I wanted it and he did nothing but help, awesome customer service and this guy knows how to make an intake work, it’s not just an after thought like some of the high end kits out there offer

I just want to point out there is a night and day difference between the FC models and the 2017 street legal FE models. Trust me if you just gut your 2017 FE (street legal version) and you do not re-map you will have an incredibly bad time with your bike being too lean. Even 2016 street legal models are very different then 2017 models, you can still get your dealer to remap a 2016 but they will not remap a 2017. The 17s are so restrictive that if I just idle my bike with the plastic side panel that covers the air box off the bike it will throw a check engine light and will flame out. Just that little bit more air flow and the bike is flaming out and throwing a code. It's bull**** and in the past, no big deal just remap it and away you go.

Premium Features