• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

How hot should a well running machine run

P
Dec 15, 2018
21 hardcore was running hot . I did go down trails but used scratchers was over heating and had to stop a bunch. Ran in the 140-50 range in deep snow. Is this normal or should I be looking into problems with the cooling system? If so what are some common causes? Thanks Charlie

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
My supercharged alpha runs 100-110 in deep snow and 130-145 down the trail at 45-50 mph with stock scratchers. With a different brand of scratchers it would hit 160+ on the same trail.

Where is the coolant level in the bottle above the secondary clutch? Do you have a way to lift the front end or park it on a ramp going up into a truck or trailer with the nose up and running. This will help get any air out of the system.

P
Dec 15, 2018
Ok I thought something was a miss. I saw fluid in the reservoir but I did not check to be honest. I'll lift her up and run it . Cap off right? Where is the thermostat on these just out of curiosity? The scratchers are kinda wiggly . To the untrained eye they seemed worn or lose? Iam dying to add an accessory part anyway, should I get a better set of scratchers? Lol! I know hot is very bad for engines and was into the 160's once. Hope I didn't damage it!

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
There are so many variables.
2 identical sleds, riden next to each other, can easily vary by 10-30°.
Riding styles can make a huge difference. Speed, track spin, one ski vs 2 ski on the ground, snow type/ depth. They all make a difference in temps.

My Alpha 165 is ~100° off trail deep snow.
On the trail 113-150° or higher, depending on snow.

160° won't hurt anything but ur computer will change the way it runs. Probably higher idle and maybe a studder on acceleration ?

200° is bad.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Reactions: Nightsider
P
Dec 15, 2018
I stopped when I saw dummy light. I tried the spin it in deeper snow side pf trail but failed so I actually tipped it over and shoveled snow in there lol. I couldn't really just go down trail after that. It would just get hot real fast. The sides of the trail where steep so I wasn't able to go up in deeper snow. It was a pain kinda just because it took along time to go a few miles but I figured it was because I go kinda slow cause iam just not confident yet. Luckily it snowed all day and it wasn't an issue when we got higher un deeper snow but I'd like to drive the trail to without worrying about it but iam more a 15-25 mph guy than 50 lol!! So maybe I just wast scratching enough snow uo there? I'll go through it this week and make sure it's operating properly. Any engine hot- cooling system; water pump, thermostat, poor circulation through radiator? Lean condition , retarded ignition? These should be a computer thing though correct? Not the best diagnostic mechanic!

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
15mph on the trail, ur sled is gonna get hot!
Do u have a snowflap? If so, Is it full length or cut?

I think the thermostat is on the bottom of the Ctec2?

Make sure the coolant reservoir is full, to just bellow the cap. It will spit some out if needed.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Reactions: goridedoo
P
Dec 15, 2018
Ok thanks! Ok so slow is bad. Dang it ! I ll step it up! I have the factory snowflap. It's just me being lame it turns out. Trails super windy and since it doesn't snow anymore it's ice and dirt snd ****e for a while. I'll do all that was suggested and try again! Thanks

Woody67

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Apr 5, 2008
Bellingham, WA
Yes keys to keeping an Alpha cool on the trail. 1.Has to be snow on the trail Doesn't matter if it is hard pack or powder. 2. Scratchers have to be down. 3. Have to go fast enough but not too fast. 25-35 mph and any decent snow on the trail you should be able to stay below 150 easy. Any stretches of dirt or pavement and they heat up fast.

kiliki

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
Nampa, Idaho
Put it on the L side for a few minutes and then on the right side for a few minutes. This Will turn the cooling system from vertical too horizontal. This will put all the air out of the system and up to the coolant bottle. Top off and run it again.

Reactions: Pinchecharlie

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
Had to top coolant off on all my alphas and made huge difference. Don't run over 35 or 40 on icy trails or you will wreck your track. Slower you go the less scratchers do. If you find a spot with powder Don't just run through it. Brap the throttle to spin some up even if it's just a quick blast. I try not to have to shut them down because they go 30 degrees hotter. Get them in some snow off trail and cool them down. Once in a great while you just have to shut them down.

Clark42

Lifetime Membership
Jun 3, 2016
Washington
100 for regular riding. 120-140(high end) on trails.

I run scratchers pretty much all the time on the trail. I never go faster than 35. Nothing wrong with taking a break or stopping to churn up some snow while on the trail

Hope you're enjoying your machine!

Octanee

Lifetime Membership
Nov 15, 2010
Cranbrook Bc
Might be a thermostat issue, I heard they had updated them, well my "updated" one failed and stuck partially closed.... I run like 40C or 104 f in pow, trail depends but anywheres from 50-60c so up to 140f? I have seen hotter too if its real hard, 70C.

D
Dec 16, 2009
Seeley Lake, Mt
My 2019 Alpha also runs hot on packed trails. I normally leave the scratchers down all day even in the softer snow. I also added a set of scratchers to the skis. They are similar to the twin rail style and sit on the inside of the skis. I think they were from Western power sports. Russel Motor Sports in Missoula ordered them in for me. They have consistently helped lower the temp in all conditions. They do not affect the steering and can be locked into a u-shaped clip when you need them out of the way.

line8

Lifetime Membership
Feb 20, 2008
West of East
Summit said it earlier.
Fill the coolant bottle all the way up.
Spin the track.
Also dip it in softer snow. Throw it in reverse and spin it backwards a bit

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MTsled3

Lifetime Membership
Jan 8, 2012
Belgrade, Montana
I just drag my feet a bit if my temps start to rise, cools it right down even going pretty slow. Hard to do on whoops though.

P
Dec 15, 2018
Just out of curiosity, what is the temp setting of these thermostats? When I jack it up and run her , I need to burp the system by letting the thermostat open and coolant to flow , hopefully burping and adding fluid. Then done yeah? Thanks

line8

Lifetime Membership
Feb 20, 2008
West of East
Just out of curiosity, what is the temp setting of these thermostats? When I jack it up and run her , I need to burp the system by letting the thermostat open and coolant to flow , hopefully burping and adding fluid. Then done yeah? Thanks

I just filled mine to just before spilling and called it good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

P
Dec 15, 2018
Ok so I topped off the coolant , ran it with front end up. I used my scratchers on pretty soft snow, went pretty fast and still I can't go more than a mile untill it's just too hot (180-200) I try to do the spin in the deep snow but it's hard for me as a new rider but I do it. But it only goes down to 145-50 . There must be something going on ir is it just how it is? So I've never er seen the machine go down in temperature dramatically even when in deep snow. If I turn it off for 15-20 minutes it does but not on snow fir me. I rode in 4-6 inches of soft snow onto of hard and some off trail maybe 6-8 inches deep. Plenty of snow kicking as round behind my wife's sled.

Premium Features