• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

How does the stator and magneto work?

tdbaugha

Lifetime Membership
Is spark driven off the magneto and flywheel? And then the rest of the electronics driven off the stator?

Basically how does everything work? I'm trying to get a handle on some issues with my sled.

Thanks

The stator and the magneto really can be thought of as the same thing. Simply put the stator is the stationary, wire wound portion of the power generation system. Magneto is the common name used when describing a permanent magnet to produce alternating current.

That AC current is sent to a rectifier that converts it to DC power which, which is sent to all of the electrical components on the sled. In your case the ignition system has four individual ignition coils prior to the spark plug.

so if my sled still runs fine but the headlight and handwarmers don't work would that be a ground wire and not the stator??

so if my sled still runs fine but the headlight and handwarmers don't work would that be a ground wire and not the stator??

I would start by checking for voltage at one of those components with a meter, if you have +12v then you know you have a bad ground.

there is actually a separate coil on the stator to run the lighting, if it also powers the handwarmers then I think you've got your issue solved.

between .08 and .12 ohm resistance, yellow leads off the stator assy. (be sure to disconnect the wiring harness before you check resistance)

Last edited:
I would start by checking for voltage at one of those components with a meter, if you have +12v then you know you have a bad ground.

there is actually a separate coil on the stator to run the lighting, if it also powers the handwarmers then I think you've got your issue solved.

between .08 and .12 ohm resistance, yellow leads off the stator assy. (be sure to disconnect the wiring harness before you check resistance)

I'll give that a shot. It's on a friends 2001 Mtn Cat 800. Thanks..

Premium Features

Back